The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pepiere, Antinori, Donnhoff

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Pepiere, Antinori, Donnhoff

by Dale Williams » Thu May 02, 2024 3:48 pm

Oysters, squid and scallops over pasta with caramelized shallot sauce, grilled ramps, salad with kohlrabi flowers

2020 Pepiere Clisson Muscadet
Zip, ripe grapefruit, oyster shell and saline. Delicious, A-/B+

No wine Monday with miso salmon, Korean noodles (sweet potato flour), bok choy
Tuesday Betsy took a long walk with a friend then invited her to stay for dinner- sausage/ramp risotto, sauteed kohlrabi stems, salad.

1988 Villa Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva
I’m a big ‘88 Tuscany fan, but not sure the Antinori CCR was a candidate for long aging. Actually seemed like it aged just fine, except it was the most corked wine I’ve run across in years. If 2 ppt is usual perception threshold, this might be in triple figures.

1990 Antinori Badia a Passignano Chianti Classico Riserva
Back up bottle, fairly large framed for Chianti, black cherry, plums and leather, gets just a bit pruney with some air, not very long, but pleasant and good with the risotto. B/B-

Chicken aloo, Indian styled Brussels sprouts, roti, salad

2011 Donnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett
Fair amount of sugar, peach and blood orange, a little petrol, ready to go. Softer style but good complement to the chicken aloo. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Pepiere, Antinori, Donnhoff

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 02, 2024 5:27 pm

Yeah that’s 2011.
Decisions are made by those who show up