The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Enfield, Ridge, others

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: Enfield, Ridge, others

by Patchen Markell » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:27 am

NV Laherte Frères Champagne Extra Brut, Ultradition. Disgorged 7/2016, 4.5 g/l dosage. This is terrific and only just starting to show its age. After the substantial mousse dissipates, only timidly bubbly. Vivid red fruit and citrus on the palate, slight yeastiness, the barest bit of hazelnut, long and focused finish. I didn't intend to hold this quite so long, but I'm not sorry I did, and I'm glad to see that it has some years still to go, because I have a couple more.

Enfield Wine Co. 2018 Sierra Foothills Chardonnay, Rorick Vineyard. I opened this without remembering what it was: a small bottling of 2 puncheons that normally go into Enfield's Citrine Chardonnay. This was a learning experience for me. I bought the Citrine in one or two vintages and always found it a little disorienting: it struck me as both big, in the way that buttery-oaky California Chardonnays are big, and also light and lean at the same time; I didn't love it. This has the same initial impression of outsized presence on a light frame (like a bird fluffing up its feathers), along with some salinity, the last of which got me thinking. Lately, I've been trying to read about and pay attention to reduction (as a constellation of aromas, related but not identical to the chemical process); on reflection, I think that's probably what I was responding to in the Citrine, and that there, as here, it mimicked barrel toast at first taste, at least for someone who wasn't used to teasing apart those two elements. With a little time, in any case, this bottle sorted itself out into a really delicious drink, substantial and long and with great texture, but not at all heavy. I have three more and will be sure to hold on to at least one for 5+ years.

Dom. Guiberteau 2013 Saumur Blanc. Another chance to revisit something from which I've been separated for six years, and it turns out that's been a good thing. I remember the Guiberteau whites I bought from 2012-2014 or so being super-austere, but this is complex, with bright but not screeching acidity, and with the primary lemon and apple fruit now taking a back seat to richer, deeper flavors, though this is still only in early middle age. A fabulous spring food wine, and a wine for contemplation too. I'm glad I have another; I’ll sample across vintages and bottlings and let this last one sit for a while longer.

Dumien Serrette 2021 Saint-Péray Grand Gachet. I'd meant to open a Saint-Péray during "Saint" month but didn't get to it. This, though, was on the list at our local French restaurant, and seemed like a promising pairing with range of dishes from lean to rich, including radishes with tonnato, ricotta gnocchi with the first morels I've had this year, and pork belly with mostarda. At first, this is very primary and apple-y, but after about 20 minutes, it takes on some weight and richness while remaining bright. A solid choice.

Claire Hill 2019 Sierra Foothills Zinfandel, Ponderosa Vineyard. From the same producer as the SCM Syrah a couple of weeks ago. This is a very high-toned, red-fruited Zinfandel: pine sap and red raspberries, lots of depth and immaculate balance. This isn’t explicitly “brambly” but otherwise reminds me of old-school Joe Swan Zins, and while it’s delicious now, I’ll be in no rush to drink these. I remain very, very impressed.

Sottimano 2013 Barbera d'Alba Superiore "Paiolero." I don't have a ton of experience with older Barberas, so I was naively surprised to find that this is still very youthful. Floral black raspberry fruit, well-balanced, focused. Becomes more expressive over 2 hours in a decanter and would have benefited from a few more!

Ridge 2013 Sonoma County Carignane, Buchignani Ranch. With leftover pizza at the end of last week, pulled this from the section of the cellar I've devoted to sketchy, probably-over-the-hill but maybe-still-okay reds, currently dominated by old Ridge ATP stuff. It was, as predicted, perfectly adequate, but flat, showing only the occasional burst of fresh fruit; otherwise, pleasantly but undistinguishedly Ridgey, if you know what I mean. We had a glass each and put the bottle back in the cellar and forgot about it until last night. In a surprise move, it did not improve. :-) So we opened:

Ridge 2011 Napa Valley Zinfandel, Spring Mountain District, York Creek. Red and black berry fruit lightened by bottle age and surrounded on all sides by sweet spice. Rich without being heavy. Not the most distinctive, not the most concentrated, but a fine and characteristic Ridge Zin caught at a very good moment.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Enfield, Ridge, others

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:23 am

I was never much of a buyer of the Enfield Citrine (think I grabbed a few once), but always loved John’s Haynes Old Vines Chardonnay. Still have a few left, but that will be the end, as he lost access to that site (which also made his amazing Syrah which drew me in way back in 2010).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:38 pm

Great report on the Laherte, usually like. Never really held one, wish I had (doing a aged NV tasting next month)
I like the Guiberteau wines, but pricing can be daunting, good to know the "base" model can age,.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:06 pm

That’s a higher dosage than Laherte does now. Probably helped the aging.
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:31 pm

Yeah, isn’t that at the high end of extra brut? In any case, I need to figure out a good approach to Champagne. I used to regularly buy Blanc de Noirs from Paul Bara, Egly-Ouriet, Andre Clouet and others but either can’t find them anymore or have been priced out. You guys drink a lot of Champagne; are there NVs you’d recommend that are still <$50?

Agreed re Haynes, which I went deep on for the last bottlings especially. And re Guiberteau, I haven’t bought since 2014 or 2015 vintage, I think. I was getting it from a dealer in Chicago that I think direct-imported, prices were reasonable, as I recall, even for Brézé and Carmes, the last of which I haven’t opened yet. (Edit: just looked online at current Brézé pricing, YIKES)
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:06 pm

IIRC, 5 g/l is the limit for Extra Brut.

My go-to for excellent, and well-priced NV Champagnes are Hebrart, Pehu-Simmonet, Gimmonet, and Aubry.

All require careful shopping, but deals can be had.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:07 pm

p.s. find some Pere Mata Cava. $18-$25 depending on the cuvée, and delicious. Most is very dry.
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:14 pm

Thanks! Got some Aubry not long ago and liked it a lot, and have a couple of NVs left. I think it might have been part of an offering focused on Meunier-heavy wines, not sure. Gimmonet I’ve definitely seen around, the others I’ll have to hunt down.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:53 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:You guys drink a lot of Champagne; are there NVs you’d recommend that are still <$50?

I really like the Gatinois NV, which is just below $50. It's mostly pinot noir and it's not austere, so depends what kind of Champagne you want. But it's also not too heavy or sweet. It's just delicious drinking pleasure.
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:00 pm

Mostly PN and not austere is absolutely my thing, and Andrea’s too. Thanks, Rahsaan!
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:45 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:Mostly PN and not austere is absolutely my thing, and Andrea’s too. Thanks, Rahsaan!

Dosage is 7 g/l.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:46 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Patchen Markell wrote:Mostly PN and not austere is absolutely my thing, and Andrea’s too. Thanks, Rahsaan!

Dosage is 7 g/l.

Almost Auslese! :lol:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:50 pm

Sipping on a 2021 Enfield Chardonnay ‘Citrine’ right now, and it has some bright acidity to go along with lemon zest and green apple fruit. There is a touch of richness/roundness that feels Californian or I might have pegged it as riper vintage Chablis.