The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Reminiscing

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Reminiscing

by Jenise » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:54 pm

That was the way it began
So a dear friend that we got to know in Alaska many many moons ago came to town and spent last Friday night with us. When we met him, Mark worked at Anchorage's best wine store and was also a culinary school grad looking to open a restaurant.

I want to make you understand I'm talking about a lifetime plan
In Alaska, Mark was married to Sue. They eventually had a child, a remarkable golden boy that we met in the hospital the day he was born, and then they moved to Bellingham which Bob and I would also eventually move to.

It ended all too soon...
Two or three years after we arrived the child, age 9, died suddenly of meningitis. Calvin's death destroyed the marriage because just about the only thing they didn't have in common was a system for grieving, so Sue moved to Chicago and married a woman and Mark stayed here and married someone else. We went to his wedding. Neither of their marriages survived, then Mark, bankrupt from the series of disasters his life had been and near homeless but for friends' sofas, met and moved in with a hot blonde in Edmunds with a house and two kids. They became engaged.

Would it work out right...
It ended before they got to the altar. He's one of the nicest but unluckiest people I know--always on the edge of happiness but somehow never quite getting there. In spite of it all, he manages to keep smiling. Mark now lives alone in Oregon but returns here annually on the anniversary of his son's death.

Friday night, it was late...
After another event on Friday night the three of us stayed up to open a 2004 Chapoutier La Sizeranne Hermitage which I'd been saving for one of Mark's visits. We both tasted our first La Sizz, a 1990, together in Alaska. That one was monumental. This one was corked.

Older times we're missing / Spending the hours reminiscing
So I went back to the cellar and came back with this gem, a 1986 Penfolds Bin 389, fittingly the last bottle in my cellar acquired during our transformational years of discovering wine together in Alaska. Inky black, and picking up some soy sauce notes that foretell the end of days, but still a fun and friendly wine that unlocked a lot of memories about the people we knew and times we've shared over the years.

And the years roll on.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Reminiscing

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:29 pm

You are the second friend to reference the Little River Band in the last week. Not sure what’s going on.

Those 1980s (and 1990s) Penfolds wines are magic.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:33 am

Wow, that's quite a story. What a life he has had. And I love the use of the song to tell it!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:25 pm

I've drunk my earlier Bin 389s - just have 2000 left. You had a nice showing!