The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Idlewild Timorasso '20....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Idlewild Timorasso '20....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:15 am

Couldn't wait, so tried this within hrs of it hitting my front porch:
1. Idlewild Timorasso North Coast WW (11.5%) 2020: Light gold color; quite fragrant floral/gardenias/Timo/spicy/bit cardamon light chalky/mineral bit quiet lovely nose; lightly tart/tangy fairly strong floral/Timo/gardenias/pear bit spicy/cardamon light mineral/perfumed talc fairly rich/lush bit complex fairly classic Timo/pear flavor; very long/lingering somewhat rich/lush finish that follows flavor; a lovely spicy/floral/pear that speaks strongly of Timo w/ that rich/lush character you expect even at 11.5% alcohol; resembles the basic Colombera Timo but not show the minerality that one has; quite a lovely/pretty expression of Timo and a splendid first effort. $42.00
I take full credit for this Timo. A number of yrs ago, I met Sam at BergamotAlley tasting bar in Healdsburg. I noticed they had a btl of Walter Massa (the guy who saved Timo from extinction) Timo on the shelf. Sam had not had a Timo before. I happened to have two other btls of Timo in my rental car (doesn't everyone travel w/ a few btls of Timo in their car??) & asked Sam if he'd like to do a small tasting of Timo afore we tasted his new releases. He was quite impressed by the variety. So he was first in line when FPS finally released the Timo from quarantine.
This Idlewild shipment arrived yesterday afternoon on my front porch, so I could not wait to try Sam's first effort at Timo. Fresh off the boat. So it may have been suffering from the journey from Healdsburg.
The wine was not as intense as some of the top end Timos from the Colli Tortonesi, in the nose or on the palate. Such as the Mandirola. But it was a dead ringer for a basic Derthona Timo like the Colombera. It showed the richness & texture and a slight bit of the minerality you get in Derthona Timo. Sam nailed the variety right out of the gate. It's the kind of wine I expect will put on weight & intensity has it ages longer in the btl. Good job, Sam, and I look forward to subsequent releases as the vines put on age.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Idlewild Timorasso '20....(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:30 am

Interesting. Sadly I am backing away from virtually all winery purchases, as I refocus on other budgetary priorities.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Idlewild Timorasso '20....(short/boring)

by Jenise » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:31 pm

Sounds fascinating. I've never had that grape. Interesting though that he held this back a few years rather than out the gate with his other 20's.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well...

by TomHill » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:39 pm

Jenise wrote:Sounds fascinating. I've never had that grape. Interesting though that he held this back a few years rather than out the gate with his other 20's.

Well, Jenise....this was Sam's first attempt at Timo. He probably didn't want to release it until he was sure it would show well.
Timo is a wonderful grape in the Alto Piemonte. It has lovely aromatics a bit like Arneis. But it has a richness & texture that goes beyond
Arneis.
Worth tracking down some to try. Walter Massa/LaColombera/Mandirola are all good examples.
Tom