The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Bordeaux at Lunch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: Bordeaux at Lunch

by Bill Spohn » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:49 pm

Notes from a blind tasting of Bordeaux:

2018 Château Suduiraut Le Blanc Sec de Suduiraut – clean dry wine with honeyed nose and excellent balance. Made using 20 year old + grapes. Impressive white as a starter.

1970 Ch. Gloria – high shoulder fill, garnet colour, some elegant sweet fruit still evident and good length. From my cellar – I had wondered about condition at that age so had a back up, but was pleased not to need it..

1993 Ch. La Mission Haut Brion – still very dark with a big sweet dark fruit nose with some tobacco hints and it still had a fair bit of tannin. Good showing from an lesser vintage. Also from my cellar.

2004 Ch. Palmer – even darker than the previous wine, with an abundance of sweet dark fruit in the nose, and some nice cedar notes. Excellent length and an over all great showing from an under rated vintage.

2004 Ch. Fleur Cardinale – this St. Emilion was also very dark in colour, but was not very forthcoming on palate, though showing some sweet red fruit. I went back to it later but it was still not very expressive.

2005 Ch. Batailley – I have always considered this Pauillac to be a reliably decent wine and this was no exception to that – it showed a very decent nose of dark fruit, lots of secondary character and smooth soft tannins, a good bottle.

2009 Ch. Coutet Barsac – orange wine with a ripe sweet nose ad on palate a lot of botrytis character and lengthy finish, Lovely with cheese.

Later on a member who hadn’t been able to join us earlier dropped by to share a half bottle with me:

1970 Ch, Magdelaine – I enjoy this St. Emilion and have just started in on my 95, but I wondered how a 1970 would have fared in half bottle. No worries as it turned out – it was pale, with a sweet caramel and cigar box nose. Obviously carrying a lot of age, it was nonetheless still sound and offered an elegant silky finish and after a bit of air, some decent rd fruit.

Next up is Alsace, and following that I am putting up a nine vintage vertical of De Toren Fusion V, a creditable attempt for South Africa to produce a left bank Bordeaux wine.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: Bordeaux at Lunch

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:18 pm

Nice lineup.

I am actually rather partial to 2004. Been through a lot of Pontet Canet and Leoville Barton in 375s over the years.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:40 pm

Agree with your notes all the way down, Bill; I might add that in that order they were served, the Batailley stood out as from a riper year, though I believe '03 was my/our first guess.

I really loved the way my Palmer showed. And the overall spell cast by this set of wines lasted over the weekend so I opened an '02 Montrose last night to pair with lamb shanks and the Oscars. It had been what I had originally planned to bring before changing my mind and taking the Palmer instead. Anyway, glad all that happened the way it did as the Montrose was somewhat disappointing. A little short on acidity. A dash of a young dry white we had around helped bring some balance, but it sure wasn't Montrose as one wants it to be.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:46 pm

How in the world is an '02 left-bank Bordeaux short on acidity???
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:41 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:How in the world is an '02 left-bank Bordeaux short on acidity???

Just past its prime window. No rot, just meh. Pretty consistent with notes from others on CT.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:21 pm

I…just…don’t…get…it.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:02 pm

I also think Bill nailed the notes. The 1970 Gloria was very interesting, but on its way down. The 1993 Ch. La Mission Haut Brion was in a nice place now. The 2004 Palmer was truly outstanding. It just had that extra gear in terms of seamlessness, texture and complexity. And it isn't even ready yet! Thanks for bringing that, Jenise! My 2004 La Fleur Cardinale paled in comparision, although it seemed almost younger/closed than the Palmer did. The 2005 Ch. Batailley was drinking well now. The 2009 Coutet was a very nice cheese wine, not too sweet and with lots of botrytis goodness. We missed having a few regulars there, but it was a great, wide ranging tasting just the same.

Oh, Jenise's prime rib crunchy sourdough sandwiches and lightly picked vegetables were great for lunch!
no avatar
User

Bob Anderson

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:44 am

by Bob Anderson » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:39 pm

A very good lunch (thanks Jenise and Bill) and excellent wines.
For me, it was an eye opener on the ability of these wines to age.
The LMHB took first place for me, with the Gloria a solid second.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:37 am

Sounds like fun lunch (and great sandwiches).
I've always liked the 70 Gloria (sentimental estate to me), but last couple showing age. 70 Magdelaine (from 750) can be really really great.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:31 pm

Dale Williams wrote: 70 Magdelaine (from 750) can be really really great.

I have always enjoyed Magdelaine although I haven't cellared a lot of it. I do have a case of the 1995 (well, 11 bb as I did sample one a few years ago to see where it was at). Has anyone tasted the 95 lately? I bought fairly heavily in the 1995 vintage but haven't really started in on them yet.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:41 pm

Had the 95 at a 13 vintage benefit vertical last year, very young and structured, though with a glimpse of Magdelaine elegance. For me that would be a hold
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:16 am

Dale Williams wrote:Had the 95 at a 13 vintage benefit vertical last year, very young and structured, though with a glimpse of Magdelaine elegance. For me that would be a hold

Thanks, Dale (that's the way I treat much of my cellar!)