The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Kobatl

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: Kobatl

by Patchen Markell » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:11 pm

A local shop brought in a selection of wines from Kobatl, a very small producer in the southeastern corner of Steiermark in Austria, close to the Slovenian border. I bought a six-pack. This is a Kobatl 2021 Waldstück, a varietal Bronner. (Yes, I contemplated titling this TN "Yul be sorry," but that sounded more negative than the wine merits!) Bronner is a grape I've never had before, described online as being similar to Pinot Blanc, which I often avoid because I associate it with a more overt and sickly-sweet florality than I prefer. I don't get any of that here: instead, this wine is lightly aromatic, middle-weight, richer than its 12% abv would lead you to expect, and interestingly suspended between the tropical and the austere. Somehow it makes me think both of Sauvignon Blanc -- from Alto Adige rather than NZ or CA, let's say -- and a little of a dry Riesling. (Sorry, I should have given David a trigger warning.) The finish is just barely shy of bone-dry. Very good with food, and really interesting and intriguing. At this price point ($38) I'm not likely to be stocking up, but this was a fun introduction to a region I'm not familiar with, and it has tons of personality. I was glad to have a chance to try it. (I have a couple more to try from the same producer, which are so-called "PiWi" wines, made from relatively recent hybrids bred for resistance to fungus.)
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Kobatl

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:39 pm

Bronner y aur stomp
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:42 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:...described online as being similar to Pinot Blanc, which I often avoid because I associate it with a more overt and sickly-sweet florality than I prefer. I don't get any of that here...

Curious where you got those associations? Something from North America?

In my experience, Pinot Blanc in France/Italy/Germany/Austria tends towards the more neutral side of things, which seems like the general direction of the wine you had.
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:18 am

My memory says Alsace, but this was a long time ago.

Just for fun I pulled out my oldest wine notebooks to see what I could find. There’s a Trimbach Pinot Blanc that I noted as floral, and a Weinbach too, and a Pierre Sparr “One” where I did the same and ascribed the florality to the PB and Gewürz in the blend, for whatever reason (did someone tell me that or was I guessing?). But I liked those wines, or so my notes say. There’s also a Roncus Pinot Bianco from Friuli that I found floral and flabby and didn’t much like, maybe that was it. My only North American PB in the early years appears to have been a Greata Okanagan had at lunch with Bill Spohn, which I found good but muted (which suggests that, by then, I might have formed some odd expectations of Pinot Blanc?).

All I can say is that these were the years when I was still just figuring out how to taste and write, and learning what I liked, and in which my benchmarks were largely Californian. And, I’d say, in which I was probably still drawn to wine that stood out for its overtness (of whatever kind) rather than its subtlety. So, one possibility: I had some early Alsatian Pinot Blancs that seemed floral to me (perhaps because I didn’t have a more refined vocabulary), and which might also have been relatively big and rich whites by European standards (I was also drinking a lot of Alsatian Gewürz at the time, which I rarely do now), and I enjoyed them, but later came to remember them negatively as my palate changed; or perhaps I had one later example and found I didn’t like it anymore. In any case, we’re talking about something like four or five bottles consumed in my late 20s or early 30s, so I claim absolutely zero expertise about what Pinot Blanc is supposed to taste like!

But thanks for the trip down memory lane. These notebooks are a hoot. (First entry is 1997 Chateau de la Chaize Brouilly, which I described as an “unusually complex” Beaujolais, which of course means “by comparison with the warm sale-bin Nouveau I had at a grad school party a year after it was bottled,” but as you know, grad students can be pretty good at affecting a tone of expertise in areas where they know next to nothing.)
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:26 am

David: [deep bows of submission while retreating slowly from the throne]
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:34 am

Patchen Markell wrote:But thanks for the trip down memory lane. These notebooks are a hoot. (First entry is 1997 Chateau de la Chaize Brouilly, which I described as an “unusually complex” Beaujolais, which of course means “by comparison with the warm sale-bin Nouveau I had at a grad school party a year after it was bottled,” but as you know, grad students can be pretty good at affecting a tone of expertise in areas where they know next to nothing.)

Yes, it can be entertaining/humbling to read one's old notes, or see them in these wine board search engines. I try to keep that in mind whenever my instinct is to get irritated by a 'youngster' on a wine board...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:28 am

Patchen Markell wrote:David: [deep bows of submission while retreating slowly from the throne]

Nah. My brain just has more useless crap in it.
Decisions are made by those who show up