The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Carlisle Bedrock (as opposed to Bedrock Carlisle)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Carlisle Bedrock (as opposed to Bedrock Carlisle)

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:34 am

• 2019 Carlisle Zinfandel Bedrock Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (3/2/2024)
    There's a dish I make every once in a while of braised pork shoulder with hoisin sauce, garlic, chilies and dried cherries. With sauce slathered on the pork it's a really difficult food match, but the pork itself is perfect with Zinfandel. There's enough flavor infused into the pork, but it doesn't have the significant sweetness that the sauce adds to the dish. So to go along with the pork I opened this, and it was essentially a perfect match. The fresh acidity in the Zin played off the richness of the pork, and the brambly, red fruit notes were a fine accompaniment to the flavors of the food - even if a bit of sauce got involved! On its own the wine is fantastic, and similar to the Once & Future editions from this vineyard. It's more transparent than the Bedrock versions (at least young), and for that reason I prefer it.
Decisions are made by those who show up