The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Blast from the past

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: Blast from the past

by Patchen Markell » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:18 pm

In the spring of 2020, about a month after switching my online classes to Zoom and stashing some extra boxes of toilet paper in the basement, I bought a case of Dirty and Rowdy 2019 Mourvèdre Familiar. I can’t remember if it was my first D&R purchase or not, but it was close; I’d been inspired to seek them out, of course, by all of David’s TNs here. Fast forward almost four years: not sure if the pandemic’s really over or if attention has just moved on to the next disaster (mass coronal ejection, anyone?) but we finally got our cellar built, which meant that I could finally unpack all those boxes that had accumulated in the basement in the meantime (including a lot more D&R and Yeah! wine), which meant that I discovered that we still had three of these Familiars from that case. Tonight, popped one. It’s a little less angular and spiky with acidity than I recall but otherwise fresh and vibrant: crunchy purple fruit with a little funk (not much; no more than any of us in the work-from-home bathing regimen), “quaffable” or “crushable,” depending on your generation.

Which is all to say that this wine made it through the last four years with more grace than I did: last time you all saw me here, I was throwing a temper tantrum about some perfectly harmless thing David said that touched a raw political nerve. I’ve apologized to him, but I apologize to everybody else, too. Not my best moment. All I can say is that I think I’d been rubbed a little raw by the state of the world, and I hope you don’t mind my coming back out of the woodwork. I promise to behave. And thanks, David, not least of all for turning me on to Hardy’s wine, even if the Familiar isn’t your thing.

Cheers,
Patchen
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Blast from the past

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:12 pm

Welcome back Patchen. You reappeared at the right time, as we just had some terrible trouble with bots that seems to be well resolved thanks to a lot of work behind the scenes, and extra efforts from Jeff Grossman.

I have to say that I am surprised but not shocked that the Familiar would still be going along well. Turns out that Hardy is a damn fine winemaker.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:46 pm

Thanks, David (and Jeff too) — and yeah, I “saw” the trouble, especially last weekend. (I’ve been lurking.) It’s a relief to see the forum up and running again: I have accounts elsewhere, but there’s no place like home.

Now my problem is that I have so much of Hardy’s
wine that I might need to drop down to the 6-bottle Yeah! club to catch up. I’ve mostly really enjoyed it, mostly because it’s just head-spinningly different, and even when something doesn’t grab me, I feel like I’m learning from the experience.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:56 pm

I am in the same boat that’s full of Hardy’s wines. I drink a lot of them but it’s hard (impossible?) to keep up.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:57 pm

p.s. he also now has a podcast
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:07 pm

Welcome back, Patchen! Happy to see you among us.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:09 pm

Patchen! Delighted to see you. I remember the tantrum; glad that's done and buried. Look forward to seeing more of you. (And you're not alone in your opinions about the state of the world. Nice thing about this group these days, we're pretty well aligned.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:37 pm

Blast from the past indeed. I know you - a bit - from the other professional world as well.

Sounds like your cellar is going strong..
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:55 am

Hi, y'all! On the subject of the cellar, the news I buried in that post is that we now have one: passive, with a not-too-difficult way to go active if it turns out to be necessary, though having watched the behavior of this space over five summers prior to finally having the construction done, I don't think it will be. We're finally going to have all the wine we accumulated from 1999-2018, which is been in storage in Chicago since we moved, shipped to us -- which means I'll be able to post some more interesting TNs before long. We'll probably also have to have a cull party, too. What appetizers are best with premoxed Chablis? :-/
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:09 am

Hmm…perhaps premoxed Trimbach.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:19 pm

Glad to see you back (even if I apparently slept through drama); :)

Someone could do the NY Poli Sci wine trail (Rahsaan to Salil to Patchen....)
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:36 pm

Thanks, Dale -- it was, if I may say so, hardly any drama at all, compared to the glory days of wine forum kayfabe. More importantly: is Salil a political scientist too? (Actually, I'm not sure I'm a political scientist, even though that's what it says on my doctoral diploma.) Now all we need is someone from SUNY Buffalo...
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:43 pm

Political Scientist seems to broad for Salil, but it’s the correct ballpark. He’s in Albany now. Perhaps Environmental Politics is a way to describe his work.

Feels like there is a need for a Northeast offline at some point.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:50 pm

Welcome back, Patchen...it's been awhile!