The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 3 Champagnes, 9 1989 Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

TN: 3 Champagnes, 9 1989 Bordeaux

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:29 pm

Our Bordeaux group met up at Quality Bistro in midtown Manhattan for a look at 1989 claret. There were 3 Champagne starters, all excellent and all in quite different styles.

2017 Chartogne-Taillet “les Couarres” Extra Brut
Bright pear, lilac, almond. Nervy, elegant, with a delicate mousse, very fun. A-/B+

2012 Roederer Starck Brut Nature Rose
Taut but still giving , Rainier cherry and cranberry, baking bread, long chalky finish. While I thought giving at first Jay prompted me to retry much later, now really giving. Balanced, stony, long. A-

2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Rose
Sweet tangerine and blood orange, red cherry, rye bread,.chalk. After the low dosage bubbles takes a minute to adjust, but this is classic and long. A-

We started with the “butter garni” (a huge pile of butter mixed with shallots, pimente d'espelette, fleur de sel) served with grilled sourdough, radishes, cornichons, leeks, ham, chorizo spread, and more. Soon followed by fried chicken, black truffle croquettes, and duck confit club sandwiches. I barely touched my strip steak frites as I was full by time it arrived. Food and service were very good.

1989 Ch. Angelus
Black plum, menthol, incense, I enjoy the nose of this but find the palate a bit rougher, with some oak tannin sticking out. B/B-

1989 Ch. Magdelaine
Elegant, soulful. Black cherry, woodsmoke, cigarbox. Long complex finish. A-

1989 Vieux Ch. Certan
Rich balanced. Black plum, cassis, espresso, Earl Grey tea. Very long, with a long future.
A-/A

1989 Ch. Pichon Baron
While this was pretty good, I’ve had great bottles of this. Black currant, mocha, leather, some slightly grating tannin, not as long as it can be. B/B+

1989 Ch. Pichon Lalande
More of a middleweight, with nice velvety texture, moderate black plum and cassis fruit, some herbs. B+

1989 Ch. Leoville Las Cases
I found this somewhat lean and foursquare, with modest black fruit, some green tobacco leaf. B-

1989 Ch. Palmer
Dark berries, cocoa, a little green pepper and forest floor. Long refined finish. A-

1989 Ch. Lynch Bages

Young and masculine, cassis and saddle leather, very long A-

Really good night. Wines showed very well (no corked!) and the company and food were great. Afterwards our usual group voting (just of the theme reds)
Palmer 19 pts
Lynch Bages 17
VCC 10
Magdelaine 5
Pichon Baron 2
Pichon Lalande 1
LLC 1

(edited to correct an embarassing misspelling of duck)

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Last edited by Dale Williams on Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: 3 Champagnes, 9 1989 Bordeaux

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:11 pm

Well that didn't suck!

1982-1990 is a big hole in my Bordeaux experience, as it post-dates the buying of the older guys in my tasting circle (they thought the 1982s were horribly overpriced), and pre-dates the buying of the younger members.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:13 pm

Ah-hem: "dick confit"?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:25 pm

I was editing as you posted! Sorry!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:14 pm

Is that like spotted dick.....?

I checked and I have 10 89 Bordeaux (and two whites), and I share Pichon Lalande with you but no others!

The Pichon, with the Mouton may be the wines of th vintage!