The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: All Hanz on deck

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: All Hanz on deck

by Jenise » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:29 am

2008 Hanzell Pinot Noir
Dark garnet red and dense looking, this had dark cherry fruit and complex aged flavors, the antique-shop kind that showed off why these are classics among California pinots. But I wouldn't hang on much longer--drink up.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: All Hanz on deck

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:31 am

Seems logical. I have opened a few 2008s from other producers (some top shelf, others less so), and everything seemed at least good to go, and not going to improve any longer.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:06 pm

I was disappointed to be the only person at the table, save one, a retailer, who knew of Hanzell. All these 30-something distribs have no idea who these esteemed old guard people are. And it's understandable: but for dinosaurs like me I guess how do they get exposure to things not in their books, especially if they grow up in the WA wine industry? One of the guys in the group's father founded and owns Delille Cellars, for instance, a highly regarded A list WA winery. Never heard of Hanzell. Sigh.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:22 pm

Hanzell has kept a very low profile over the years. I am actually not that surprised.

p.s. Jason Jardine from Hanzell did a really fantastic, 2-part podcast with the guys from Bedrock. It’s well worth your time. Look it up under Bedrock Wine Conversations.
Decisions are made by those who show up