The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus Feb '24: Open That Bottle! (notes in main forum)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Wine Focus Feb '24: Open That Bottle! (notes in main forum)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:54 am

Inspired by the annual Open That Bottle Night that happens on February 24 this year, we will be reviving something we did during the depths of the pandemic - Open That Bottle Month. That treasured old bottle of Bordeaux that always seems to be too good for dinner - that's a wine for this month. Same with that bottle of carefully aged vintage Champagne or the last bottle from a much too expensive case you bought on a lark. It's all fair game in Open That Bottle Month.

I can't say that I will open "that" bottle every night myself, but I do feel an urge to drink well/special this month. Rooting through my late father's wine cellar I came across far too many "great" wines that had just sat there as worthy occasions passed them by. It altered my thinking. I realized that I too was hoarding the special stuff rather than letting it shine on any given Tuesday when a little extra joy is always welcome.

So about that bottle where you always say "not yet"...NOW! :mrgreen:

From a visibility standpoint we will now post Focus notes in the main forum. Too many good wines/thoughts get missed by hiding them here.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Wine Focus February 2024 - Open That Bottle Month

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:59 pm

Great topic! Now to look for a good bottle that's been around for a while ...
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:03 am

Should be fun, will take part for sure. Dig out some old Muscadet. :)

Imagine Tim will have some oldies?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:37 am

Wasn’t at all my expectation, but at our group’s blind tasting last night, the host served a 2012 Ridge Monte Bello. No shock it was still very young (I guessed 2014, so not too far off). It was in fact balanced and delicious. Wonderful but too soon, even for open that bottle month!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Wine Focus Feb '24: Open That Bottle! (notes in main for

by Tim York » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:35 pm

My problem with “that bottle” nowadays is that, in addition to finding a suitable occasion pairing and company for serving it, I get increasingly bothered by the ridiculous auction values which afflict some of them. Faced with a bottle now valued at, say, €400, I can’t help asking myself whether I might not get more satisfaction from selling it and replacing it with about 15 varied bottles in the €20-30 range.

A wild boar stew called for a Northern Rhône, so I got out my last bottle of Hermitage La Chapelle 1996 remembering an excellent previous bottle and noting a “reasonable” value of only c.€80. 1996 was close to the end of the era when the Jaboulet family was still in charge and the wines were by then notoriously uneven. Early in the 00s, the Frey family took over bringing in Bordelais consultants and making the wines more reliable, if somewhat international on style.

1996 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage (18/02/2024)
My bottles of this have been maddeningly variable. A bottle just over a year ago was excellent but is predecessor showed signs of premature age. This one was in between the two. At first, the sour cherry infused fruit was sharpened by varnish notes and the finish showed a touch of cabbage-like oxidation but both these elements receded as the wine opened up making for a very good drink but without the complexity and velvety texture of the best bottle.

Here is my TN on the previous bottle from the same purchase in the late 90s, showing what the best bottles of this wine can achieve.

1996 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage (30/12/2022)
This bottle was much better than my previous. Not a powerful Hermitage but harmonious and seamless showing complex and gracious but still fresh fruit in which some ripe griotte cherry was evident together with an infusion of grilled meat and fine minerals lying on a bed of some depth and roundness accompanied by velvety texture, fresh moreish acidity and a decently long finish reinforced with kirsch notes. Excellent.
Posted from CellarTracker
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

Re: Wine Focus Feb '24: Open That Bottle! (notes in main for

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:46 am

Yeah, the values can get scary. I actually sold some wines (mostly Arnoux-Lachaux) that had appreciated beyond enjoyment. They became some nice camera equipment.