The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 1983 Kenwood Cabernet Sauvignon Jack London Vineyard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: 1983 Kenwood Cabernet Sauvignon Jack London Vineyard

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:53 pm

1983 Kenwood Cabernet Sauvignon Jack London Vineyard - doing a California themed blind tasting in a few weeks so going through the cellar looking at potential candidates. This one was a high fill, had a very nice nose of cedar and dark fruit, but was initially lacking in the finish which was thin. As it aired however, it transformed into a very nice wine with attractive blackberry fruit, and a smooth medium length finish that offered good balance and a classy smooth feel. Better than I could have hoped but sadly my last bottle.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: 1983 Kenwood Cabernet Sauvignon Jack London Vineyard

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:47 pm

Sounds great. Air does seem to be a boon to older wines, until it isn't!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:41 pm

David M. Bueker wrote: Air does seem to be a boon to older wines, until it isn't!

Exactly - that's why I tend to open old bottles and taste almost immediately and then give it some time for the oxidation reactions instigated by decanting to occur. More often than not they improve in that time, but sometimes they never change and sometimes they crash, but it is still better than opening an hour or two ahead and having the wine die before you start in on it.

The only problem with that methodology is being able to resist drinking too soon!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:39 pm

Nice! And although you say too bad it's your last bottle, I'd say instead no it's a good thing it's your last bottle as you have so many more well-aged bottles to drink in this lifetime! I'm looking forward to the California tasting; haven't decided what to bring yet. I actually don't have that many aged Californians left.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov