The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: white/red Burg, Bdx, Goisses, SC Chard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: white/red Burg, Bdx, Goisses, SC Chard

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:21 am

With some leftovers, the 2008 Pavelot “les Peuillets” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er. Open, red fruited, soem tobacco leaf and sandalwood. Tasty if not super long. Seems to be pretty ready (2008s seem to be all over the place) B

A year or so ago Betsy realized a friend had grown up in the Dutch Reformed community in Grand Rapids, as had her BIL. She decided to set up a dinner, it finally happened Saturday. Some comparisons of their growing up, but conversation was more about music (3 classical musicians and one sound editor at table), but Cathleen and I also talked about wine. All in all a very fun night.

I had miscalculated farmer’s market dates, so menu got some slight twists, and I almost forgot opening nibbles, but managed to get a variety of smoked fish canapes out.

2005 Philipponnat “Clos des Goisses” Brut
Smoky, chalky, nutty. Complex nose, elegant mousse, though not the length of a great vintage. Ready,. B+/A-

First sitdown course was sauteed scallops with orange and puntarelle a la Romano

2021 JC Bachelet Les Macherelles Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
Lovely, refined, and vivid, with pear, apple blossoms, and citrus. Plenty of verve. A-

2021 JC Bachelet Les Aubues Puligny-Montrachet 1er
Less refined and less defined than the Chassagne, broader apple fruit. I did like it more with air, but never approached its brother. Still good acids and easy to drink. B

Ming Tsai’s short ribs (star anise, soy, etc) and orzo/cabbage

1985 Latour a Pomerol
Seemed a little tired at first, but picked up steam through night. No blockbuster, but an elegant midweight, with black plum and raspberry, cedar, and espresso. B+

1983 L’Evangile

An old fave, but I thought a bit muted (as did Cathleen). Still, the table seemed to enjoy. But during cleanup I retasted, and became pretty sure it was actually corked. NR

Then a salad and some cheese (Mont St. Francis Capriole, Nancy’s Camembert, Ossau Iraty)
, followed by Cathleen’s carrot/almond cake

2008 Fevre Montee de Tonnere Chablis 1er
Snappy acids, a bit less developed/complex than previous bottle, but still interesting. B+

Oysters, red perch, hakurei turnips, turnip/puntarelle greens, leftover orzo

2012 Mt EdenReserve Chardonnay
Pear, a little citrus, and a light hazelnutty oak note. With air it gets a floral/honeysuckle note. Long finish. B+/A-

Good weekend, before a 7-10 dry spell.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: white/red Burg, Bdx, Goisses, SC Chard

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:25 am

7-10 day dry spell (I thought easier to reply than risk edit screwing up original with site issues)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: white/red Burg, Bdx, Goisses, SC Chard

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:34 am

Dry from 7-10 is easy...AM. ;)

I did my vacation dry spell (16 days) again last November. It does make it easier when the wine cellar is not staring me in the face.
Decisions are made by those who show up