The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Don't cry for me Argentina (or Chile)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Don't cry for me Argentina (or Chile)

by Jenise » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:53 pm

Sorry about the title; so obvious, I know. Friday night's neighborhood tasting was all about Chilean and Argentinian wines. The usual suspects were there--multiple Catenas, Nortons and Kirklands, all of which were good or decent (the Kirkland was a little sweeter, no surprise). And a few Torrontes's showed up (I so dislike that grape). But all in all, there were only two wines (besides the Torrontes whites) that I flat-out didn't like. And a few I liked very much, especially the Carmeneres.

Something I noticed that I hadn't picked up on before is the propensity of Chilean wines to use the designations Reserva and Gran Reserva. I'm guessing there are no rules to determine who uses what/when though (like in Spain). Here are my favorites of the night:

2016 Lapostolle Carménère Cuvée Alexandre Apalta
My wine and absolutely singing right now. Bright dark red fruits with resolved tannins, bordering on elegance. I drink a lot of expensive wine and the value of this one--purchased about four years ago for a mere $22--is just astounding.

2020 Marcelo Pelleriti Cabernet Franc Signature Valle de Uco
Very different from the last CT reviewer's notes. Dark red and black fruits with more acidity and less oak than the '18 also on the table. A very subtle streak of redwood forest sits in the background but it's in line with cab franc's tendency toward herbaceousness while being, by no means, ugly or mean or underripe.

2018 Marcelo Pelleriti Cabernet Franc Signature Valle de Uco
Dark and opaque. Very Bordeauxish. Deep, concentrated, dry and sophisticated. More oak showing than the '2020 of this same wine also on the table.

2020 Clos d'Argentine Malbec Gran Reserva Mendoza
A big malbec with structure and body, and not overly sweet as were many on the table.

2019 Viña Koyle Carménère Gran Reserva Colchagua Valley
Another one of the standouts from Friday's Argentina-Chile tasting. Lightly muscular structure but with the ripe black currant fruit, chocolate and spice to carry it.

2021 Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) Cabernet Sauvignon Los Vascos Colchagua Valley
Tasted many vintages and noted huge vintage variations since visiting the winery back in '95. This is one of the most immediately pleasing and accessible. Balanced cabernet typicity with a French elegance that reminds one that the Rothschilds own the place. If I needed an inexpensive house cabernet, I'd buy this by the case.

2022 Château Los Boldos Carménère Tradition Reserve Cachapoal Valley
This was my favorite wine of the night. The bottle we drank, however, has the name in Spanish--Tradicion Reserve--vs the Americanized name shown on CT. Anyway, excellent fruit and structure with a panoply of ripe blue/black/red fruit with Carmenere's traditional spice and dark chocolate notes plus dusty tannins of the type one generally only finds in Cabernet Sauvignon. Exceptional, especially if it only costs $10+ dollars as shown on CT.

2021 Carmen Sauvignon Blanc Gran Reserva Leyda Valley
Some exotica on the nose and palate here that obscure the notions of SB, but for that reason all the more intriguing (especially after tasting about 35 red wines in succession). Leans in a tropical direction but not overtly oaky or alcoholic.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: Don't cry for me Argentina (or Chile)

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:26 pm

The Los Vascos sells for $30 Can. here and is a reliable wine - it came on the market around $25 and I used to buy it by the case. The high end version, Los Vascos Dix, sells for $87. It would be interesting to taste those two at the same time.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Don't cry for me Argentina (or Chile)

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:37 pm

Lapostolle makes a lot of lovely wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up