The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Go Westhofen Young Man

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Go Westhofen Young Man

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:54 pm

• 2001 Wittmann Westhofener Morstein Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Rheinhessen (12/27/2023)
    From my late dad’s cellar, this was part of the mega-purchase of 2001 German Rieslings that I put together in 2002. We shared a few things, and a couple of handful of bottles were still in his cellar. Having never moved for 20 years+ was a good thing, as the wine matured in a lovely way with smoky notes and a cinnamon aroma and flavor on top of all the classic aged Riesling peach and apricot fruit. Lively on the palate, it picked up a light wintergreen note as it opened up. Unfortunately it wasn’t in magnum, and so was gone in under an hour. My wife liked it as well, and went back for two additional pours. I only got one more!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Go Westhofen Young Man

by Rahsaan » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:10 pm

Sounds great. I don't think I've ever had the off-dry Wittmann wines. But, I'm sure they're in a similar mold as the remarkable dry wines, and this sounds like it was a perfect specimen.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Go Westhofen Young Man

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:56 am

What I miss even more are the Albalonga bottlings. They did some amazing stuff with that quirky grape in the 1990s.
Decisions are made by those who show up