The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 1990 Ch. de Pez

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: 1990 Ch. de Pez

by Bill Spohn » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:52 pm

We were making duck breast for dinner (a dish that produces more smoke than anything else I can think of except searing foie gras) and I thought that a Bordeaux would be suitable.

Just for fun I sorted my cellar list by expected end date and what came up but this wine, estimated by CT pundits to have peaked by 2010. Ha! It turned out to be very good. Deep colour, good fruit, some nice mature aromas. Dark berries and a smooth medium length finish. Unlike many St. Estephes, it wasn't at all hard

Sadly, I can no longer be called a Pez dispenser as it was my last bottle. I note that I do have a small stash of 1990 Les Ormes de Pez - will schedule a test bottle soon (I haven't' been into my 1990s much as I prefer well aged wine and there are other earlier vintages I have been plundering first)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: TN: Ch. de Pez

by Dale Williams » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:11 pm

What vintage?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: TN: Ch. de Pez

by Dale Williams » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:17 pm

BTW, one of the most memorable wine events I've been to was a tasting of 70 de Pez (and all of it's components) in 2004. Background: Before the assemblage of the 1970 de Pez, the owner M. Dousson was persuaded by his exporter to bottle half barrels of the varietals, which were then used by the L'Ecole du Vin at Chateau Loudenne. When Loudenne was sold, my friend Mark Golodetz was allowed to buy the remaining sets. This was the last set. For my tastes, the Cab Sauvignon edged the final assemblage, but Cab Franc was pretty good too, only the Merlot was really tired.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: TN: 1990 Ch. de Pez

by Rahsaan » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:53 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:We were making duck breast for dinner (a dish that produces more smoke than anything else I can think of except searing foie gras)

I don't cook duck or foie gras, but roasting mushrooms is one that pretty regularly sends our smoke alarms into a frenzy. I don't mind so much, but my wife gets irritated with the sound. I've taken to roasting them on lower temperatures, which gives me more control and the smoke is less likely to get going.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: TN: 1990 Ch. de Pez

by Bill Spohn » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:21 pm

Our smoke alarm isn't a stand alone, it is part of our general alarms system for break-ins etc., so smoky cooking will result in a call from the alarm company. I don't think that She-who-must-be-obeyed has forgiven me for the first time it happened when the alarm company called - I told then it was alright, it was just my wife cooking dinner...