The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Arbe Garbe WW '21....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Arbe Garbe WW '21....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:19 pm

My new release arrived last week, so had to crack one w/ Susan:
1. ArbeGarbe RRV WW (14.1%; 85% Malvasia/15% Chard; http://www.ArbeGarbeWines.com) St.Helena 2021: Light gold color; lovely very fragrant Malvasia/floral/slight muscatty/bit melony some minerally/chalky some complex beautiful nose; fairly tart/tangy refined/subtle Malvasia/floral/bit melony/muscatty light chalky/minerally/stony quite textured quite interesting flavor; very long finish that mimics flavor; a lovely white that resembles a Friuli Malvasia d'Istriani; beautiful aromatic white at a great price. $35.00/$24.50
1. ArbeGarbe is the winery of EnricoBertox & LetiziaPaulette. They both hail from Friuli & make wines in the style of their home country. Enrico is the winemaker at FloraSprings. I first met them at an early RibollaFest at Matthiasen when they were making Ribolla from GeorgeVare grapes. THey also make wines under the Benadants label, including one of the best Charbonos made in Calif.
ArbeGarbe comes from the Friulian dialect for "wild weed".
Most of the Malvasia planted in Calif is the common Malvasia Bianco. Those wines are typically an in-your-face very tutti-frutti very muscatty wine, often finished with some residual sugar to cover the slight bitterness. I much prefer the Malvasia d'Istriani, originally from Croatia but widely grown in Friuli. It has a less intense Malvasia character & more subtle/mineral character and is a much more interesting white. This ArbeGarbe, to me, resembles more a Malvasia d'Istriani than a Calif Malvasia. Alas, there is no Malvasia d'Istriani planted in Calif that I'm aware of.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Arbe Garbe WW '21....(short/boring)

by Jenise » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:21 pm

Had a few of this awhile back. Not a fan of gingery muscat-ish, malvasia-ish notes, so the wine didn't work for me but a friend who adores same was enraptured.

Btw, how is the winery name pronounced? I see ARbee GARbee, but that may not be right.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Pronounced...

by TomHill » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:30 am

Jenise wrote:Had a few of this awhile back. Not a fan of gingery muscat-ish, malvasia-ish notes, so the wine didn't work for me but a friend who adores same was enraptured.

Btw, how is the winery name pronounced? I see ARbee GARbee, but that may not be right.

I thought the Malvasia/Muscat notes were pretty subtle and not at all in your face & a nice touch of minerality.
Enrico & Letizia pronounce it as Ar-ba Gar-ba.
Tom