The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 1988 Ch. Gloria

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: 1988 Ch. Gloria

by Bill Spohn » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:35 pm

My last bottle - I had my second last bottle in the Spring of this year and wasn't impressed with it so figured it was in decline, but this bottle was night and day better. Nice mature Bordeaux with mostly red fruit and cedar notes, rather than oak, a bit of forest floor at the end and a medium length finish. Far better showing than the previous bottle.

I bought a fair bit of the trio of 1989 (a classic claret vintage) 1989 (a riper fruit forward vintage) and 1990 a new style big sweet fruit style that brought the new world more to mind. It was a marvelous trio that I have seen characterized as zero Parker influence (88), a fair bit of Parkerization (89) and totally Parkerized (90) but I don't find that correct nor useful. The differences in the vintages were influenced much more by climate in a given year than any wine critic, although I am sure that sales volumes were affected, with RP touting the 1990 vintage highly resulting in more sales and higher prices.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: 1988 Ch. Gloria

by Jenise » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:13 pm

Glad, especially since it was your last, this was a good bottle.

I loved the '90, btw. Have had a few but never owned it in quantity until the '99--because I got two cases for $13/bottle. Not equal to '89 or '90, but very good considering the price.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov