The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Spätburgunder (Koch, Wasenhaus, Wehrheim)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Spätburgunder (Koch, Wasenhaus, Wehrheim)

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:24 am

2020 Holger Koch Pinot Noir *
Juicy straightforward Spätburgunder berries with those ‘rustic’ porky spicy notes on the finish that remind you we’re not in France. Not a blockbuster and nothing to inspire reverie, but a solid showing with dinner.

2021 Holger Koch Pinot Noir ***
Tangy cool lean and linear. Yes, it’s 2021. Fills in just a bit with air, but it mainly functions as a solid showing with dinner.

2020 Wasenhaus Vulkan Spätburgunder
Delicious juicy berries in a silky almost-velvety frame. Exactly the Clear Wine Juice that one expects from Wasenhaus, with some nice focused texture that could perhaps evolve over time? Would be curious to see if it unfolds, although not a ton of material or depth present, even given the Pinot Noir idiom. But what do I know. It was tasty now.

2021 Wasenhaus Spätburgunder
The basic bottling and such a great showing. Elegant and digestible (11.5%), with the trembling pale fresh fruit and delicate structure. Always lively lovely clean and clear, with so much energy and enough fruit to make it interesting. An excellent representation of the style.

2017 Dr. Wehrheim Kastanienbusch Köppel Spätburgunder
Purchased at the winery a few weeks ago, and for my tastes this is ready. Juicy, earthy, autumnal and porky. The structure is resolved and it can accompany your meal nicely, but not much more for me to day.

2020 Dr. Wehrheim Sonnenschein Spätburgunder
This on the other hand, is a very nice wine. Also purchased at the winery a few weeks ago. LF recently sent out an offer and despite my (eternal) skepticism, his enthusiasm was (mostly) warranted.

Lovely deep rich nose with many savory and fruity elements to ponder. That follows through on the suave and ‘full’ bodied palate (of course relatively-speaking) with lots of layers. But also gorgeous tension and energy. The earthy/leafy/brothy flavors on the edge remind you that it’s Spätburgunder and not Burgundy. I don’t love those notes, but I suppose one can’t fault it for being what it is!

Such a different style from the Wasenhaus, but both are good, and that’s what makes wine so interesting and fun.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Spätburgunder (Koch, Wasenhaus, Wehrheim)

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:53 am

You may have pinpointed my issue with Spatburgunder. Every bottle I open (save a couple from Fürst) has included a meaty element that I don’t much care for in Pinot.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:30 am

David M. Bueker wrote:You may have pinpointed my issue with Spatburgunder. Every bottle I open (save a couple from Fürst) has included a meaty element that I don’t much care for in Pinot.

That's fair. It's probably a combination of the clonal material and learning to work with the vines. I could be wrong, but I don't think German winemakers have the same body of knowledge around Spätburgunder that they do with Riesling.

Of course not every bottling will show those notes. The more refined 'Burgundian' examples (like those from Fürst, or Holger Koch) will sometimes get enough proper ripeness and sophisticated elevage to avoid the rustic meaty elements. And, the Natural Wine Juice examples (like Wasenhaus) can also avoid it. But, it is still often lurking just around the corner! And when one is outside Germany with many other options to purchase, it's tough. Depends on tastes.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:30 am

Very interesting post and set of notes Rahsaan. I just wish I could find some wines like this here in AB.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:37 pm

Thanks for interesting notes (and discussion). My Spatburgunder experience is so limited that I can only learn!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:26 pm

Excellent reading from a Calgary pal!!
Last edited by Bob Parsons Alberta on Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:44 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/FMfcgzGwHpSgmlwDkszRBksszzSHqjfg

Excellent reading from a Calgary pal!!

????

That is a link to your gmail inbox?

It won't load for any of us.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:36 pm

I deleted.