The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Deleted

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:46 pm

Deleted

by Richard L » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:08 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Richard L on Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Does vintage rating alter "collection" calculation.

by Tim York » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:48 am

Richard, can you explain to me why you are doing this? The only number about my cellar which occasionally interests me is its potential market value in case my wife and I should be stuck down by health problems which permanently forbid wine consumption.

As for vintage I am more concerned about its character than by any numerical rating. I often love wines from "off" vintages, e.g. Léoville-Lascases 1993, and many clarets from unfashionable early maturing years like 1999 and 2012. In earlier decades "off" vintages were much more frequent than nowadays but even then there were delicious wines to be found, e.g. a gift to my father of a dozen Mission-Haut-Brion 51 or 56 (I forget which but both were dismissed by critics as disasters).
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:34 am

My collection is too eclectic to do anything holistic. And other than California wines, where I do a lot of exploring of new things, I mostly buy things I have a long track record with, so I know it’s wine I will like. That’s pretty much all that matters for me these days.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

by Richard L » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:15 am

To Tim York: I understand that very few members are likely to do something similar, but the great bulk of our "collection" is left bank red Bordeaux and I want to have some idea of the average quality. Presumably that would have some relation to its value, though we intend to leave any "residue " to family and friends. If they want to sell some that is up to them, but now we are keeping wines a bit warmer than we did previously the value has almost certainly gone down a bit. I have noticed no ill effects so far. Richard L
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

by Richard L » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:48 pm

As I have noted in a more recent post to Jenise (under the heading WTN: Bob's Birthday Wines) I have more or less decided not to include the quality of the year when assessing the quality of my wines. There is still some use in finding the vintage ratings. Richard L