The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

To David M. Bueker

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:46 pm

To David M. Bueker

by Richard L » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:33 pm

To David M. Bueker: Now that I have confirmed that you are the D@vid Bu3ker of Wine Berserkers I also know what you think of me. Richard L
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: To David M. Bueker

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:49 pm

Given your overall behavior I am genuinely concerned about you. Pardon my bending to the general ruckus on that other site.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

by Richard L » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:03 pm

Re the above: I do not consider your posts on the other board unpardonable. I was frustrated by the seeming paucity of thoughtful responses on the other board. I understand that a certain lack of politeness is to be expected there. The moderators reminded me of a certain "unbenevolent dictator" who is a lawyer (admirable as a lawyer at least) in Lewiston ME named James P. Howaniec. He seems to be unduly protective of a certain impolite poster there (a close friend of his called "tim") who is so mathematically challenged
that he does not understand that if a given price is to be divided by 1.108 for each point down, that price should be divided by the square root of 1.108 for each half-point down (try it twice in a row) !! So far I have enjoyed this board very much. Richard L
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

by Richard L » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:29 pm

I suppose it is kind of you to be concerned about me. I wonder if you can tell me the next number in the sequence 89, 109, 131. 155? There is a really simple way to get the answer of course, but i would like to get your opinion of how the answers were generated using squares. Best wishes, Richard L
Last edited by Richard L on Sat May 29, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:01 am

Richard L wrote:I suppose it is kind of you to be concerned about me. I wonder if you can tell me the next number in the sequence 89, 109, 131. 155? There is a really simple way to get the answer of course, bit i would like to get your opinion of how the answers were generated using squares. Best wishes, Richard L

With that short of a sequence there are a number of ways to arrive at an answer. The most obvious is that the addition increments by 2 each time from a base of 20. No squares needed. 89, 109, 131, 155, 181 and so on. If you went back from 89 you would have 71 and 55.
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

by Richard L » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:10 am

Yes , obviously, but i got the numbers in the first place from using squares, and i wondered if you could figure out the simple way in which I did it. I notice that the procedure always goes up by two each time . Best, Richard L (P. S. the first number derived from a positive integer is actually minus one, which should make things easy.)
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

by Richard L » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:01 am

Another question for David M. Bueker: Now that I have been allowed to post on this forum what I wished to say about red Bordeaux,
and received thoughtful replies and no vituperation, do you think I was treated fairly on WB? I would really appreciate your opinion, as it matters a lot to me. Thanks, Richard L
Last edited by Richard L on Sat May 29, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:23 am

I'll send you a note when I have a little more time. I don't think that's an appropriate discussion for the open forum. We may poke a little fun at other forums from time to time (as they have done with us), but I don't want to go deeper than that.
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

by Richard L » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:19 pm

If you think I deserved such treatment (and some of it was probably warranted because of my frustrated repetition) please feel free to say so. I agree it would be best to do that outside this forum, and would be grateful if you sent your answer to the email address I used when I wanted to join the forum. Best, Richard L
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

by Richard L » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:56 pm

The numbers were generated by using the square of a positive integer n and subtracting (n + 1). For 1 one gets 1-2=-1. Richard L
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

by Richard L » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:07 am

David M. Bueker: Thanks for your reply to "bad day". As you have sent me no email I am assuming that you are being kind in not sending a negative response to my question. I still think there was some unfairness and some unkind posts, especially if I truly was a befuddled old man. [The clinic tells me that I had the highest scores they had ever seen on their cognitive tests (mostly about memory, with some about reasoning) even though I was feeling sick and annoyed (because they did them when I was trying to eat my lunch).I found this very hard to believe as the tests basically seemed so easy. I can give you the name of the clinic in an email if you ask in one.] This place (the med ctr.) has some good points but I have had better (if shorter) stays here. Anyway, I thank you for your great help about scoring wines and wish you well, Richard L
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:50 am

Richard - I sent you an email yesterday.
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

by Richard L » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:25 am

Thank you, Dave, for sending me an email, but I cannot find it. Are you sure you sent it to the correct address? Richard L
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:27 am

Yes. I will copy it into a private message that you can access here.
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

by Richard L » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:56 pm

[Excuse me Dave, but wher exacty is "here"? If is this forum where exactly on it? I apologize but i am bad with computers. An email would probably be better if you have my email address starting with "rt" . Thanks, Richard L
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:58 pm

Richard L wrote:[Excuse me Dave, but wher exacty is "here"? If is this forum where exactly on it? I apologize but i am bad with computers. An email would probably be better if you have my email address starting with "rt" . Thanks, Richard L

At the top, right of the screen is an image of an envelope. That’s the message center. It’s next to the logout button.
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

by Richard L » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:26 pm

Many thanks, Dave. I have sent you a rather lengthy PM in response to your very helpful one. This board and its moderators and members are by far the best I have encountered. Best wishes to all, Richard L
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

by Richard L » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:18 am

Dave : I have sent you another PM, I hope not improperly (if perhaps repetitiously), as I would very much like to have your opinion,which I greatly respect, on the matter in question. Best wishes, Richard L