The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Gathering together with wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Gathering together with wine

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:01 pm

My tasting group got together tonight. It had been over six months since the last time we saw each other. We had some lovely wines, including 2017 Bevan Ontogeny, 2010 No Girls Syrah, 2004 Montelena Estate Cab, 1970 Sandeman Port, 2007 Carlisle Petite Sirah and several more. More than anything else it was a great night of fellowship. We had all been vaccinated, so we were not trying to figure it ways to share wine while keeping distance. It was almost normal. I even shook hands with two of the guys (though I reflexively washed my hands afterwards). I can’t muster a tasting note on anything, other than to say it was better to have shared it with friends.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:46 pm

Re: Gathering together with wine

by Richard L » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:34 pm

To David M. Bueker: Your post reminded me of how much my wife and I used to like the Chateau Montelena cabs,etc. (so did a Dutch friend who knows an enormous amount about red Bordeaux: he is familiar with many of the greatest left bank red Bordeaux chateaux and many of the owners, etc.). One time when my wife and i were staying at the Wine Country Inn we spent a lot of time (happily) at Montelena. We very gradually drank less and less Napa etc. (though we still drink some) and more and more Bordeaux. Because we are so old my wife and in were vaccinated in Jan./Feb. as were many of our friends, so we have been able to get together with some, particularly at our club's wine dinners (we all loved a Vega Sicilia fairly recently <the winemaker was there!> and bought a little). Yesterday was the first day in a long time that I got out of the med.ctr. for a meal with my wife and two friends (I gave them a bottle of 2010 Cantemerle, or rather my wife did as I was not allowed to take more than a single glass from the ctr.!) The meal was in the main dining room of the retirement home, recently re-opened with limited seating, and we had a great time. Best, Richard L.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:27 am

Doesn't it feel great? That's what we did Saturday night. And we actually HUGGED.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:12 pm

Between the Chauvin verdict and the tasting it was a very good night.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:54 pm

Our group Sunday felt great, too, but I declined the hugs. Getting there though!