The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: DeLoach Zin RRV '87...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: DeLoach Zin RRV '87...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:16 pm

As I was rummaging in the archives, I stumbled across this wine:
1. DeLoachVnyds Zin RRV (EB; 13.8%; SaH: 23.6 Brix, TA: 0.88%; 3460 cs) Cecil & Christine DeLoach 1987: Very dark rather brown color; rather oxidized/tired quite cedary/pencilly/Am.oak/old Red slight blackberry/Zin/spicy nose; very tart/metallic/tired/dried out quite cedary/pencilly/oldZin very vanilla/Am.oak slight peppery/blackberry/Zin flavor w/ light metallic/astringent/tired tannins; still speaks some of RRV Zin but pretty much a dead Zin. $7.40 (K)
1. I have, of course, followed DeLoachVnyds from the very start. Cecil & Christine DeLoach bought the old BarbeiriRanch in the RRV in 1970 whilst Cecil was a fireman down in SanFrancisco. They released this first wine under the DeLoach label in the mid-'70's from their Estate & I was immediately impressed by it. They went on to release several vnyd-designate Zins in the late '70's, including Gambooghi and Pelletti (now Carlisle vnyd). In 2003, they sold DeLoach to Jean-Claude Boisset. Then then went on to found down the road the Hook&Ladder Wnry, in honor of his firefighting background.
Their grandson is the H&L winemaker. I've not tried many of the H&L wines.
Tom