The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 3 Mags; Farrell, Lapierre, Brewer-Clifton

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 3 Mags; Farrell, Lapierre, Brewer-Clifton

by Jenise » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:12 am

Had some neighborhoodies over for hugs and our first 'safe' gathering in over a year, opened these three magnums:

2009 Marcel Lapierre Morgon Gamay
This has aged beautifully. Great aromatics--happy just smelling it. Almost no need to drink but on the palate comfortable medium cherry notes with geranium leaf, dried thyme and leather. Long finish. The experienced wine lovers in the crowd adored it, including me.

2015 Brewer-Clifton Pinot Noir Sta. Rita Hills
Poured alongside an oaky Gary Farrell, this stood out for it's lighter pigmentation, higher acidity and overall more evolved, complex, and gamey Burgundian style. Loved it.

2015 Gary Farrell Pinot Noir Russian River Selection Russian River Valley
Very Russian River: sweet dark cherry fruit and pumpkin pie spices. The oak shows, a lot more so than Gary Farrell pinots pre-Jackson Family ever did. Very popular with the crowd, though.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 3 Mags; Farrell, Lapierre, Brewer-Clifton

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:01 pm

Thanks. I have a mag of the 2010 Lapierre. May give it a go very soon.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:19 pm

That Lapierre. I once had a friend named John who worked at a local store selling wine. He'd had an epiphany about Beaujolais, a story that involved a Foillard and a bus wobbling through Portland, Oregon, a story I remember but to this day don't exactly understand. But however it went, the result was John coming home and ordering a ton of Beaujolais for his store much to the consternation of the manager of said store who didn't know the difference between Cru Beaujolais and the bubble-gummy unsold Nouveaus they dumped in the remainder bin every December after the parties were over.

The vintage was 2009. And much of what John bought were magnums, especially the Lapierre and Foillards. Only a few customers, me included, fell under their spell, and the rest languished.

Then John got sick and things got real bad real fast. He was sent to hospice where "any day now" turned into two months, during which time I visited every day unable to stand the thought of him not knowing how much he'd be missed, which of course he wouldn't know if he measured it by the people who visited once and then quit coming. Many of those days he wasn't lucid, but on one of the good days he asked if any more of the Beaujolais had sold. Then a few days later, as if it hadn't been asked before, he asked again. When people are dying they tend to review their lives and often think a lot about their mistakes, even well-intended misjudgements, and for John a burden of his deathbed right up there with being sorry to leave his wife and two brown tabby cats was over-ordering those Beaujolais.

I stopped by the store on my way home that day and bought every last bottle. The next time he asked, as I now realized he would, I would be able to delight him with the news that they'd all been sold. To distinguish them from later purchases we dubbed them the John Bottles. This was the last John Bottle, and it was the best Lapierre I've ever had. As it should have been.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:37 pm

Amazing.

Sad, amazing, uplifting, sad, repeat...
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:46 pm

by Richard L » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:24 am

My wife and I have always loved the Brewer-Clifton PNs and Chards. Not long ago at a wine dinner at our club I was able to mention this to Greg Brewer, who seemed pleased. Sta. Rita Hills Burgundian type wines really appeal to me. An old friend of ours (now, alas, no longer with us, but as they say in England "she had a good innings") used to give us and others great dinners at which she served Sea Smoke PNs. They were always great, but the price was too high for us to buy them. Not long ago, though, our friend and I agreed that we had never had a bad Sta. Rita Hills PN, no matter how low the price! Best wishes to all, Richard L
Last edited by Richard L on Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:41 am

I don't have a lot of experience with Brewer-Clifton wines, Richard. I only knew I had a pinot from them I liked somewhere along the line a long time ago, and when I saw this magnum at Costco priced at around $45 of course I could not pass it up!
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:46 pm

by Richard L » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:11 am

Jenise, I apologize. I should have commented first on your very moving story about "John." All the best, Richard L