The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: BonnyDoon LeCigareVolant CentralCoast '19...(short/bori

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: BonnyDoon LeCigareVolant CentralCoast '19...(short/bori

by TomHill » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:41 pm

The new Cigare showed up at ArroyoVino at a suspiciously low price:
1. BonnyDoonVnyd LeCigareVolant CentralCoast (56% Grenache/30% Cinsault/13% Syrah/1% PetiteSirah; 13.5%; www.BonnyDoonVineyard.com) KingCity 2019: Med.color; rather fragrant/bit strawberry/Grenache quite herbal rather vegetal (canned green beans) fairly earthy/loamy somewhat rustic quite MontereyCnty herbal unattractive nose; some tart quite herbal/vegetal/MontereyCnty somewhat sharp/shrill light strawberry/Grenache somewhat earthy/loamy flavor w/ light tangy/bitey tannins; long quite herbal/vegetal/MontereyCnty/earthy/loamy some canned green beans slight strawberry/Grenache finish w/ some sharp/bitey tannins; obviously vastly different sources from previous LCV; lacks any high-toned perfume of quality Grenache fruit; a shame on a once proud label. $23.00 (AV)
1. Several yrs ago RandallGrahm sold off BonnyDoon to a marketing outfit by the name of WarRoom LLC. He pledged to remain on as consulting winemaker, along w/ Nicole Walsh, whom I respect for her wines under the Ser label. So I was not expecting any big changes in the wine.
I have followed the LCV label from the very start, with its launch with the 1984 label. It has never been a profound CdP blend to me, but generally quite nice and often aged into something interesting. Its price escalated up into the $40-$50 price range, which I thought was pricey for what it was.
So I was surprised to see it at this $23/btl price point. Suspiciously low. Once I tasted it, I now realized this once proud label has moved into the commodity market. Will probably soon be all over the TraderJoe's shelves. It was made at a custom-crush facility in KingCity, probably Delicato Wines. It doesn't even taste like a basic commodity wine in that it has a pretty strong character of MontereyCnty, rather than bland/simple commodity wine. Easily the worst LCV ever made in its history. I'm shocked that Randall&Nicole would let this be released...but they may have no say-so.
LeCigareVolant....RIP...we once loved you, mostly for the whimsical label.
Tom
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: WTN: BonnyDoon LeCigareVolant CentralCoast '19...(short/

by Paul Winalski » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:33 am

This is starting to sound like Inglenook all over again.

-Paul W.