The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - Various bottles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

WTN - Various bottles

by John S » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:19 pm

Hopefully these might be useful hazy notes. The Ferrando CDP really was a stunning wine, one that definitely exceeded expectations. Some nice Canadian wines too, hit and miss as always, but there really are some nice rieslings being made now.

• 2007 Domaine Isabel Ferrando Châteauneuf-du-Pape Colombis - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (2021-04-15)
    I'm not all that fond of CDP wines now - my palate has changed over the last few years. I'm slowly drinking through my dwindling stash, and I thought the triple barrel hit of CDP, the ultra ripe 2007 vintage and the 15.5% alcohol listed on the label would make this bottle particularly nasty. One sniff of the nose on this wine and all my doubts went out the window. What an incredible array of plums, game, garrigue, iron, leather, etc.! The silky palate also provided a very complex, layered suite of southern Rhone goodness; given it is 100% grenache, I was surprised at all the gamy, spicy and leathery flavours on show. Really quite a spectacular wine, ready now with some air but it will last quite a while I think. So much for preconceived notions! (A/A+)
  • 2012 St. Innocent Pinot Noir Temperance Hill - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (2021-04-10)
    Cool vineyard site, warm year. I was somewhat surprised at the level of concentration and power of this pinot, reflecting the vintage I assume. But this was a very beautiful pinot, with great balance and a punch of cherry, raspberry, spices together with nice earthy notes, good acidity and slight tannins. This should last quite a while, but drinking very well now. (A-/A)
  • 2017 Stoller Pinot Noir Willamette Valley - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (2021-04-07)
    Had this last night. I wasn't expecting too much from this young, entry bottling, but I was happy to be surprised. It had more concentration than usual in this level, and a nice, deep earthy note to go with the mainly cherry and strawberry fruit and red licorice on a medium bodied palate. Good QPR. (A-)
  • 2016 Synchromesh Riesling Thorny Vines Vineyard - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley (2021-04-03)
    At about 5 years, this is becoming more integrated. There's a sweet entrance which then almost disappears with the arrival of the healthy acid: it ends just off dry. The fruit is a mix of citrus and stonefruits - lemon, pear, apples - and creates another very tasty Synchromesh riesling. This should last quite a while. (A-)
  • 2018 Liquidity Wines Chardonnay - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley (2021-04-03)
    A nice but not outstanding chardonnay. It's certainly a new style of chardonnay, not overly oaked or buttery, with a mix of citrus and stonefruit flavours on the light to medium bodied palate. Improved with air, an elegant style that could use a bit more concentration. (B/B+)
  • 2005 Domaine du Vieux Lazaret Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Exceptionnelle - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (2021-03-31)
    Still deeply coloured, with a little bricking. The nose is lovely, with lots of earthy smells, plums, leather, game, cinnamon and a herbal note. Medium bodied for a CDP and more freshness than usual; the earthy plums, leather, game and herbal note as well as a cherry liqueur note linger on the palate. Slight, ripe tannins at the end. I quite enjoyed this, as it wasn't as ponderous and overripe as many CDPs can be; my palate is changing, but this CDP bucked the trend. (A-/A)
  • 2010 Dr. Loosen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (2021-03-28)
    I haven't opened many 2010s since release. This seems to be aging well. The nose and palate show pears, pineapple, mango and lemon, a bit from each fruit spectrum and some slate. There is a blast of sweet fruit at the onset, but then the 2010 acidity - now more integrated and harmonious - kicks in and it ends up ending just barely off dry on the finish. Tasty, and should last quite a while. (A-)
  • 2014 Majella Cabernet Sauvignon - Australia, South Australia, Limestone Coast, Coonawarra (2021-03-23)
    Fairly deep brick/purple in colour. Classic blackcurrant, mint, herbs, tar, and a hint of alcohol on the nose. It's only medium bodied on the palate, which is a good thing, as Majella cabs can be over the top. Nice balance, with similar flavours on the nose (except the alcohol) and a bit of ripe tannin. Good QPR and it should last 3-5 more years at least. (B+)
  • 2005 Weingut Hirsch Grüner Veltliner Lamm - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal (2021-03-19)
    This does not taste like a 15+ year wine: the screw cap may have something to do with that. A nice nose of pears, mineral and apples, and such a refreshing, mouth watering, medium bodied wine with more pear, apple, fresh peas and a hint of truffle or mushrooms. Wonderful acidity and freshness, like a cold mountain stream. Quite delicious and it should last many years, but it's unfortunately my last bottle. (A-/A)
  • 2010 Domaine Saint-Damien Gigondas La Louisiane - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Gigondas (2021-03-16)
    Medium ruby in colour, cherries, garrigue and plum on the nice nose. There are earthy but bright cherries on the complex, medium bodied palate, along with gamy notes, garrigue, iron and still healthy, ripe tannins. Nicely balanced, even with 15% on the label. Maybe at plateau now, with the fruit fading a little perhaps over the last couple of years, but it isn't going anywhere fast. (A-)
  • 2017 Little Farm Riesling Pied de Cuve Mulberry Tree Vineyard - Canada, British Columbia, Similkameen Valley (2021-03-14)
    Had this a few days ago. Much better than the equivalent chardonnay. Less cloudy, less natural tasting, with a mix of stonefruit and citrus right on the on a dry/offdry scale. (B+)
  • 2016 Cave Spring Riesling CSV Cave Spring Vineyard - Canada, Ontario, Niagara Peninsula, Beamsville Bench VQA (2021-03-04)
    Light golden/yellow in colour. A bit of lemon, lime, pear and beeswax and a wash of minerality on the nice nose. The palate is medium bodied, with similar flavours and great intensity. Outstanding balance is the key here, along with a wonderful mix of acidity and RS with a dry finish. This should have a great future, but drinking well now too. Lovely Niagara Riesling reflecting its limestone soils. (A-)
  • 2014 Domaine Pascal Aufranc Chénas En Rémont Vignes de 1939 - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Chénas (2021-03-02)
    Medium brick in colour, red fruits (cranberry and cherry) and iron on the nose. The medium bodied palate shows earthy cherries, cranberries, iron and violets, with light tannins. Nice acidity lifts and freshens the wine. An elegant but tasty style of cru beaujolais that still seems young. (B+)
  • 1997 Domaine du Closel-Château des Vaults Savennières Les Coulees - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Savennières (2021-02-28)
    I saved one bottle to test out much later. Well, as has happened with many of these older savennieres wines, it was completely oxidized. I waited a day just in case, but no luck... NR (flawed)
  • 2000 Château du Coing de Saint Fiacre Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Comte de St. Hubert - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine (2021-02-28)
    This has aged well, but may at peak now. A light straw colour and a nose of minerals and slight rotten fruits (in a good way). Medium to full bodied, with good intensity, and a slight butterscotch note on the long, minerally finish. Almost a cross of Chablis and Muscadet. (A-)
  • 2017 Little Farm Chardonnay Pied de Cuve Mulberry Tree Vineyard - Canada, British Columbia, Similkameen Valley (2021-02-28)
    I've seen some good reviews for earlier vintages of this wine, so I thought I'd give the new vintage a shot. My first time with this small producer of natural wines. Cloudy in appearance, light gold, with a classic chardonnay nose. Medium bodied on the palate, with primarily stonefruit and oak notes in evidence. The one thing that mars this wine is the warmth on the finish - the 14.5% really shows here and I think 1% less alcohol would lead to a better wine for my palate. (B)
  • 2016 Thirty Bench Riesling - Canada, Ontario, Niagara Peninsula, Beamsville Bench VQA (2021-02-11)
    Light straw in colour with a slight tinge of green. Red apple, pineapple, peach, lemon, lime and mineral on the light to moderate nose. The palate has improved since I last tasted it, with a great balance of fruit, acid and minerals. Off dry, with a complex suite of citrus and stonefruit flavours and a slight creamy texture in the mid palate. Really quite nice for a entry level riesling. It seems in no danger of decline anytime soon. (A-)
  • 2015 Delas Frères Crozes-Hermitage Domaine des Grands Chemins - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Crozes-Hermitage (2021-02-10)
    From second night open. Deeply coloured, with a bit of game, iron, plums and herbs on the nose; also a bit of grape jelly as well. Similar flavours on the concentrated, along with chocolate and black olives on the medium to full bodied palate, with a silky texture, and nice ripe tannins. Still young I think, but tasty with air; better on the second night. (A-)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN - Various bottles

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:14 pm

Nice set of wines.

I lost touch with St. Innocent several years ago. I wish I had not. Might have to grab a few and reconnect soon.

Lamm is such a great GV vineyard. The 2004 Gobelsburg Lamm GV I had the other week was in the top 3 for best wines I have had all year.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

British Columbia

by John S » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:09 am

St Innocent downsized about 3-4 years ago, and I think the wines are improving a bit because of that. Their prices have gone up a bit lately, but they are still well priced overall.

The Heiligenstein is still my favourite Austrian vineyard, but Lamm is no slouch either. The Hirsch Lamm I tried was also fantastic - still so young and vibrant!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:52 pm

Ah, your usual refreshing suite of global wines! Glad you discovered Stoller. Their entry level pinot noirs are better than a lot of other winery's premium models, and they age beautifully, gaining weight and complexity with each passing year. I've been following a sixpack of '12s for a few years now and each one I open is more amazing than the last. I never expected that for $25/bottle. I have a bottle of their reserve too, which I haven't tasted yet. Might find that I actually prefer the regular.

St. Innocent--don't buy them anymore. Mark V's a creep, so I don't care how good the wines are. Still have a few '05s!

Interesting notes on the Little Farms. Had one of their chards years back at Hawksworth, and loved it. They get lots of mentions on a BC-centric wine group Scott Kipling invited me into on Facebook.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:21 am

All Coing Muskies age well. Great Cave Spring note too so thanks.
Maybe I should try to visit Synchromesh when in valley in July.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

British Columbia

by John S » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:16 am

Jenise wrote:Glad you discovered Stoller. ...
Interesting notes on the Little Farms. Had one of their chards years back at Hawksworth, and loved it. They get lots of mentions on a BC-centric wine group Scott Kipling invited me into on Facebook.

I tried Stoller, once at a wine festival and once or twice at the Woodinville tasting room, and for some reason was not impressed. But the 2017 Willamette really did punch above its weight class. They just raised the price $10 here - doh!

I liked the natural riesling I had from Little Farm, but the natural style chardonnay was just disjointed big time. I still have their orange wine and a rose to try.

Bob, a visit to Synchromesh would definitely be recommended. Given the wide range they now make, I think they are the top riesling producer in Canada. My second favourite in BC would be Orofino in the Similkameen Valley.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:25 pm

OK. I have a date at Orofino already!
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

British Columbia

by John S » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:10 pm

It's about a 30 minute drive to the Similkameen Valley from the Okanagan Valley, but well worth it. I'd check out Clos de Soleil and Corcelettes too while you are there. If you like cider, Twisted Hills Cidery is worth a look too.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:44 pm

It's a beautiful area, too. Small and intimate after the largesse of the areas around the lake, and when everything's green it's got a Garden of Eden kind of vibe.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:46 pm

by Richard L » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:46 pm

To John S. : I think of the impressive list my wife and i have only had (from different years) the Vieux Lazaret, some Chenas, the Wehlener Sonnenuhr, and the Gruner Veltliner. I envy you! My wife and i lived for a while in Canada but back then the wines left a lot to be desired (we left in 1970). A few years ago in Victoria we had a very good Osoyoos Larose Cab (or some such name) . I think it was owned by a French entity and a Canadian one.. The Osoyoos area is the only true desert in Canada, as far as i know. Richard L
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

British Columbia

by John S » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:57 pm

Osoyoos Larose still exists, now fully owned by the Groupe Taillan in France. Wine in BC has come a long way since the 1970s!