The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Kita Spey Red Blend 2013: Our Valley (with minimal) Oak

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

Kita Spey Red Blend 2013: Our Valley (with minimal) Oak

by Pat G » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:24 pm

Kita supposedly means Our Valley Oak in the Chumash language. The Chumash tribal council had to approve the wine label, featuring an oak leaf. This small winery was in the Lompoc Wine Ghetto. Literally a warehouse. Tasted by appointment. Toward the end of my tasting the vintner arrived. She added quite a bit of input for my tech sheets. A nice experience.

Ruby to rose to pale, watery rim. Aromas are red fruit dominant: cherry/sour cherry, then raspberry, then hint of strawberry. A bit of eucalyptus, but very subtle . No smoke, no vanilla, hint of light toast. On the palate, a hint of dust emerges.Flavors more pronounced than aromas; red fruits persist. Smooth, subtle. Acidity yields a lasting finish. Grenache dominant, then Syrah and Carignane. At this stage, the Carignane influence outweighs the Syrah. This wine may be at or just past prime. Tasted over 4 days; staying power is there. I would drink now.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Kita Spey Red Blend 2013: Our Valley (with minimal) Oak

by Jenise » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:45 am

Sounds quite interesting--not a winery I've heard of before. What does the 'spey' in the name mean?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:03 pm

"Flower" in the Chumash language. Trusty tech sheet to the rescue.

https://kitawines.com/
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:14 am

Thanks for the link. Interesting to read about the winemaker, Tara Gomez, herself a Chumash Indian who, through this winery, is giving back to her tribe. "From the first time that she stepped into a winery as a child, Tara Gomez has loved winemaking. Her fascination for science and love for the aromas of wine always mesmerized her. With the help of a scholarship from her tribe, the Santa Ynez Band of Chumash Indians, Tara attended California State University Fresno where she studied Enology."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov