The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Clape Gripa Jaboulet Tardieu Villard Monbazillac

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: Clape Gripa Jaboulet Tardieu Villard Monbazillac

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:04 pm

Tasting notes from a small distanced tasting held al fresco, theme, Northern Rhone.

2017 Domaine Auguste Clape St. Péray Blanc – limpid golden colour with a nose of flow plus a fruit salad with pineapple, apple, and a nice weight in the mouth. Medium long. Classy wine.

2017 Domaine Bernard Gripa St. Péray Blanc Les Figuiers – slightly turbid compared to the Clape, a spicy nose that featured ginger and apples, and a good long dry finish.

1991 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle – I hadn’t opened one of these for several years and was interested to see how it was doing. Bricking edges, some blood and tar in the nose with black pepper showing up after a little while, and always an underlying smoked meat foundation. In the mouth clean, balanced and quite long with clean end. A little funk but on the whole a very good showing. Glad I waited!

2007 Tardieu-Laurent Hermitage – dark with a pure fruit nose along with some raw meat mellow tannins, and dry medium length finish. The tannins surprised me – they were only moderate and the wine was not overripe. Good showing.

2013 François Villard Côte-Rôtie Le Gallet Blanc – dark red with a funky typical Rhone nose , somewhat ripe, and sweet briary fruit. Lacked the high notes you often get from the Viognier, but a medium weight respectable Cote Rotie.

2003 Ch. Monbazillac – I spent a vacation in Saussignac east of Bordeaux some years ago. It is an area that offers bargain priced sweet whites (Monbazillac) and reds (Bergerac) and this house is probably the best of them. On that trip i was accompanied by a friend, no longer with us, and picked up a couple of bottles that I have been opening to taste and to remember our trip. This is the last one.

Now dark amber with a primarily coconut nose but developed some apricot with time. Not too sweet and well balanced, it bats in the same league as a minor house Sauternes,
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: Clape Gripa Jaboulet Tardieu Villard Monbazillac

by Jenise » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:47 pm

Two St. Perays! Sounds great, can't wait to join you guys again when you get that virus under control. Recent news isn't so great, though much worse back east.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:49 pm

Yeah - '3rd wave' here too.

Bruce would have liked the sticky!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:54 pm

I smiled at the reference to Bruce in your post. :)

Things here aren't so bad. Three counties got put back into Phase 2 (all MAGA hat counties, natch) this week but Whatcom County, by and large more liberal and observant about following the science, has done very well all things considered.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:37 am

Back when i was first getting seriously into wine, I watched the Syrah episode of Jancis Robinson's Wine Course, where she discussed Hermitage La Chapelle. I immediately ran out and grabbed 3 or 4 (I don't exactly recall) bottles of the 1991. Drank them all way too soon. They were very nice, but at the time I had zero clue what I was really tasting. There's one note in one of my old notebooks, but no other info.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:17 am

The Clap and the Gripe at the same time? :roll:
I'm rather fond of 1991 N. Rhone, though I think one Ogier is all I have left
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:37 am

I went through a case of 1991 Colombo Cornas over many years (liked it a lot more than his newer vintages) but like you have drunk up most of my other 91s except for the Jaboulet. Have been starting in on a bunch of Vincent Paris Cornas from 2011 on - they drink well younger than the old style.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:48 pm

Looks like news to day about possible BC travel restrictions? Lord knows how they will control AB/BC border?