The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Fidelitas on Red Mountain

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Fidelitas on Red Mountain

by Jenise » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:52 pm

We paid a visit to Fidelitas winery, long a favorite of the friends we travelled with, where in the past I've found the wines too oaked for my tastes.

2019 Fidelitas Optu Red Mountain Sémillon-Sauvignon Blanc Blend
Only 13% alcohol but seems hotter, perhaps because at this moment in time the semillon, a one-third minority, is the more prominent of the two grapes. Rich, ripe and tropical with mango and pineapple.

2013 Fidelitas Optu Red Mountain Red Bordeaux Blend
73% Cabernet, 17% merlot, the rest CF and malbec. The oak has integrated more than I thought it would, and there's a wonderful streak of vitamin-rich minerality. My favorite of the reds poured.

2017 Fidelitas Cabernet Sauvignon Quintessence Red Mountain
'Quintessence' is a Red Mountain vineyard prized for depth and spiciness.
Sure showed in this wine: balanced intensity, tons of blackberry fruit, nutmeg and clove spice. 50% new French oak.

2018 Fidelitas Malbec Red Mountain
Five vineyard blend, very fresh after the toasty merlot with floral, perfumed nose on raspberry fruit.

2017 Fidelitas Merlot Red Mountain
A four-vineyard blend fermented in both French and American oaks. Toast flavor dominates the fruit which is thinner than I expected. No wonder the pourer exclaimed, "I love this with barbecue!" That's probably the only way to make use of it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: WTN: Fidelitas on Red Mountain

by John S » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:43 pm

Yes, their wines tend to have a bit too much everything, although some of their single vineyard cabs can be nice with some age to tone down the oak and fruit.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Fidelitas on Red Mountain

by Jenise » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:44 pm

John S wrote:Yes, their wines tend to have a bit too much everything, although some of their single vineyard cabs can be nice with some age to tone down the oak and fruit.

I bought a '10 cab to find out what they're like later on, and that would be a vintage with a lot of structure. Otherwise, definitely too full-figured for me. I was almost surprised given their reputation and what I remember from the Woodinville tasting room about four years ago that none of the wines they served us were 100% new oak.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov