The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: More Reyn in the forecast

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: More Reyn in the forecast

by Jenise » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:06 pm

2018 Reynvaan Family Vineyards The Classic Walla Walla Valley Red Bordeaux Blend
Like all Reynvaan reds, this is currently shy and not showing but a portion of what it's going to give later on (we're currently drinking our 12's) but the '18 tasted this weekend at the winery is the third in the trifecta that are the 16, 17 and 18 vintages. I predict that some day these cabs with their startling Rocks funk will be revered among Washington's best, so though I had only planned to pick up my '17s while there, I couldn't resist bringing some of the 18's home as well. Great job, Reynvaan Family, great job!

2013 Von Strasser Cabernet Sauvignon Post Vineyard Diamond Mountain
Our first bottle of eight, not decanted in advance. Fairly stiff at first and it started taking its cards off the table two hours in, but in between it showered us with classic Napa dark cherry fruit, dark chocolate, graphite and tobacco. Too, the structure's there with youthful acidity and dusty tannins. Given what we tasted and the very high quality of the '13 vintage (along with '16, should be Napa's best vintages of this decade), I would be surprised if this didn't turn out to be a 20 year wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: More Reyn in the forecast

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:37 pm

Someday I will get to try one of my three bottles of their Syrah. Took two years to deliver, and now it's at my parents' house in Virginia, where I have not been since COVID started.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:44 pm

Which syrah did you get, David?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:45 pm

Jenise wrote:Which syrah did you get, David?

I barely remember. I think On the Rocks.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:54 pm

That would be In The Rocks. You'd have likely chosen that or the Contender. Difference is vineyard location and co-ferment ingredient. ITR is viognier, the other marsanne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:57 pm

Given how I now feel about the winery, I will be serving it on the rocks.