The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Whites & A Red...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two Whites & A Red...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:06 pm

Had these three w/ Susan & her friend on Easter:
1. Filippi Dd'OC: Soave Colli Scaligeri (Vigne della Bra; 12.5%; www.CantinaFilippi.It; NorthBerkeleyImprts/Keokuk/IA) Visco & Filippi/Soave 2018: Med.gold color; some earthy/herbal/Kansas haymow/fresh mown hay lightly fruity/floral bit coarse/rustic rather interesting/unusual nose; lightly tart/tangy rather herbal/Kansas hay mow/dusty bit earthy/metallic/sour slight floral/pungent/zinnias rather interesting/unusual flavor; long rather herbal/dusty Kansas haymow light floral/pungent/zinnias some earthy/rustic finish; not a whole lot of fruit but rather pungent/rustic/interesting & will probably age for several yrs; pretty atypical of the usual bland Soaves. $32.00 (AV)
2. AndrePerret Viognier IGP: Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes (14.2%; KermitLynchImprts/DelRio/TX) Chavanay 2018: Light gold color; fairly strong pear/peach/Viog lightly mineral/stony fairly fragrant nose; lightly tart fairly attractive pear/peach/Viog light mineral/stony pleasant/bit simple/lean flavor; med.long light Viog/floral/pear/peach bit earthy/stony finish; a pleasant quiet Viog that reminds a lot of the Cedarville Viog but not as perfumed; a bit on the quiet/restrained side & would like a little more DollyParton in it; pricey at $42.00 (AV)
3. Kiona Lemberger RedMtn AVA Estate (14%) KionaVnydsWnry/BentonCity/WA 2017: Very dark/near black color; very strong earthy/loamy/dusty/OV fairly classic BF/Burgenland light toasty/pencilly/oak some boysenberry/blackberry/licorice bit rustic interesting nose; rather soft bit metallic/tangy fairly earthy/loamy/dusty/OV plummy/boysenberry/ripe/licorice some toasty/oak bit rustic flavor w/ light ripe tannins; very long strong earthy/loamy/dusty rather blackberry/boysenberry/licorice light toasty/oak finish w/ light ripe tannins; resembles quite a lot a Burgenland BF & a whole lot WashState red w/ less oak; quite an interesting good-drinking bit rustic red at a great price. $14.00 (KK)
1. Lemberger: This is, of course, the Blaufrankisch of the Burgenland. The Kiona/RedMtn label was once the wnry of JimHolmes who did several tastings w/ my group in the late '70's when he was here at LosAlamos on business. I always liked his Lemberger and regarded it as a rather earthy expression of Zinfandel, mostly because of the oak. The Kiona Lemberger was supposedly the first varietal Lemberger in the USofA. But this was before I was familiar w/ Burgenland Blaufrankisch. Now that I know Blaufrankisch, I'm struck by how much this Kiona resembles Burgenland.
Tom