The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1997 Ojai Syrah Roll Ranch Vd.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: 1997 Ojai Syrah Roll Ranch Vd.

by Bill Spohn » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:13 pm

This is one of the best Californian Syrahs I’ve had the pleasure of tasting. It has been in my cellar since release and I have been eying it for some years now and finally decided to pull the cork. Still quite a dark colour, the age betrayed only by some lightening at the edges.

The nose was all about Northern Rhone – some bacon fat, smokey and some nice berry overtones although little of the floral grace notes you find in some Cote Roties, for instance. Excellent balance with mouth-watering acidity and a long persistent finish.

To all of the reviews that claimed this has peaked years ago – hey, you were wrong! And it should carry on for some years yet, although I think that it has hit plateau. The complete lack of overly sweet blousy Syrah that I deplore in many American Syrah wines is quite endearing. I’d even be willing to put this into a blind tasting as a ringer with Northern Rhone wines. As you may have guessed, I am not a fan of Syrahs from California that get mistaken for Australian Shiraz in blind tastings! Excellent – wish I had bought more! It is much better than the 97 Bien Nacido from the same winery.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 1997 Ojai Syrah Roll Ranch Vd.

by Jenise » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:55 am

Bill, though I separately knew Ojai winery, my familiarity with their potential has been expanded by enjoying a few bottles from your cellar such that I've sought out a few old bottles on the secondary market. Never not impressive.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:01 am

Wish I had bought more, back in the day!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:06 am

Les and I actually visited the winery together a few years ago--great tasting room in downtown Ojai. I only brought back pinots. I don't even remember sampling syrahs--they must not have been pushing them that day.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov