The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2018 Foillard CdP

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: 2018 Foillard CdP

by Rahsaan » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:47 am

Still coming to terms with 2018 Beaujolais. Some wines have been delicious, but this past summer I had some very messy and hot bottles of 2018 Foillard Morgon Côte du Py. The 14.5% alcohol on the label is frightening enough, but the rough wine inside made it even worse.

However, last night's bottle of 2018 CdP was recognizably Foillard Morgon (especially after a decant) and more integrated than my last bottle from 6-7 months ago. I even had outright fun during dinner with the wine and a roasted mushroom arugula pizza.

Maybe that positive evolution will continue and at some point I will actually love the wine. There are some very nice seductive elements. But, it strikes me as too heavy and high octane to be worth the risk for me to purchase more. Yes, I know vintage variation is one of the spices of life. But even among rich years, 09 and 15 Foillard CdP have been easier for me to like and more attractive. Perhaps this will evolve in those directions. I'd love to be wrong. But my storage is tight and there's plenty of other wine out there, so I will survive!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2018 Foillard CdP

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:16 pm

14.5% alcohol is not something I would welcome in Beaujolais. If I saw that on the label I would not buy the wine,
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2018 Foillard CdP

by Rahsaan » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:06 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:14.5% alcohol is not something I would welcome in Beaujolais. If I saw that on the label I would not buy the wine,

Yes, I ordered it from local store for pickup as browsing wine store shelves is a thing of the past for now. So I didn't see that before purchasing. But yes, somehow it feels wrong!