The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open That Bottle Night 2021

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Open That Bottle Night 2021

by Jenise » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:04 pm

It's tonight!!! Opening something special?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Open That Bottle Night 2021

by David M. Bueker » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:07 pm

D’oh! Totally forgot! Might have to do a cellar dive.

Although it also the one year anniversary of my surgery, which for some reason has me somewhat melancholy.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:27 pm

So ultimately I opened a 2011 Produttori del Barbaresco Rabaja, while not a “that bottle” was appropriate to my homemade pizza dinner.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:58 pm

I'm opening a 2018 Halcon Vineyards Alturas Syrah; first Halcon wine for me. Will report back
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:49 pm

Steve, I've read about Halcon syrahs and been tempted myself. Please let us know.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:13 pm

Jenise wrote:Steve, I've read about Halcon syrahs and been tempted myself. Please let us know.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64733&p=489113&hilit=halcon#p489113
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:46 pm

I had the "18 Syrah from Halcon Saturday evening (re-tasted last night) and their '18 Mourvedre Sunday evening, and I'm really impressed. Esther Mobley of the SF Chronicle wrote about the '18 Syrah a month or so ago, which pushed what had been curiosity, over the course of several years, into I need to check this stuff out mode, so I ordered a mixed case from them.

The Syrah surprised me with how young, and somewhat fierce it seems to be, though everything is in marvelous balance; it's all muscle and blood, skin and bone at the moment, and in need, as much as I can tell, of considerable patience. Smoky, taut, do not disturb. I'd expect, after another 7 or 8 years (at a minimum) something pretty fine.

The '18 Mourvedre was perhaps even more promising; there seems to be the likelihood of a bit more charm in the fruit profile, while still brandishing formidable structure, and almost frightening depth and length. I found myself thinking the two wines combined, with a comparable portion of Grenache might be pretty exciting, and I did get, in this order, a few bottles of such a blend. I'll check back in after I've opened one of those.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:23 pm

2018 Halcon Vineyards Mourvèdre - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands (4/11/2020)
First Halcon wine for me. I liked it a great deal, though it was a bit of a chameleon. A quick sip directly after I opened the bottle showed a cool, sleek, tense wine, reminding me more than a little of some of the Dirty & Rowdy wines. Several hours later I took a full glass, and was drinking a very different wine. There was a distinct richness to the mid-palate that had not been there before. Cool, red fruit, spice and vibrant floral notes were held in place by a firm acid spine, and moderate finishing tannins. Fun to drink on its own, and with enough depth and cut to handle our dinner of Chicken Enchiladas Norteńas.

I left about two glasses worth in the bottle overnight, corked up and kept at cellar temperature. Giving the wine some time to warm up, I poured a small glass to see how it progressed. Surprisingly, I found the wine that I had started with the prior night. More tense and taut than anything else, it still had the red fruit and floral, but on a more racy frame.

Interesting stuff that made me think, and that’s what keeps me coming back.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:24 pm

FWIW, I ordered 6 of the 2019 Alturas, and 6 of the 2019 Mourvedre from Paul's latest offer.
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:46 am

Celebrating TWO half marathons a week apart (first time I've been able to manage that feat):

Michel and Stéphane Ogier, Côte-Rôtie, Reserve, 2012

The classic bacon inflected nose is the reason I keep coming back to Côte-Rôtie and it's on display here, along with flourishes of earth and black pepper. It's still forming, needing air to show fine complexity and subtlety on both nose and palate. For my tastes, it's at the start of its plateau. This is a blend of 65% Cote Brune and 35% Cote Blonde and includes some Viognier.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:37 am

Also qualifies as Wine 103: Wines of PN as Day 3 = 3/1. :wink:

2012 Pali Wine Co. Pinot Noir Huntington, Santa Barbara County

Brick fading to rim in multiple layers: ruby to rose to pale orange/pink. Medium legs. Aromas are red fruit dominant: cherry & strawberry. Also present are cinnamon, clove, a bit of dust. On the palate, red fruits strengthen and dust diminishes for Day 1. On Day 1 as well, the wine had pronounced bubbles and carbon dioxide evident, especially upon twisting off the screwcap. The CO2 was almost gone on Day 2 and absent Day 3 (after Day 1 I switched to my trusty VacuVin). On days 2 & 3, the dust on palate continued to strengthen, as did the cherry. Medium legs, medium + acidity, medium to medium + finish. Polished, smooth texture. An enjoyable wine with just enough balance and evolution to stay interesting. Note to Jenise: no oak, no vanilla observed. Your mileage may vary.

Another reminder of why PN is one of my favorite grapes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:38 pm

Pat G wrote: Note to Jenise: no oak, no vanilla observed. Your mileage may vary.

I only questioned it on a wine that I knew to have shown a lot of oak, but am not otherwise routinely suspicious. :)
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:23 pm

Have followed Pali wines off and on for some time now, going back to when Brian Loring was briefly involved..Have never had a Pali PN with that much age on it..I usually drink em 3-4 yrs post vintage, a tad earlier re their chards..
Jon