The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: TablasCreek Roussanne '18....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: TablasCreek Roussanne '18....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:12 pm

My TCV shipment arrived ystrdy, so Pobega'd last night:
1. TablasCreekVnyds Roussanne EB/AdelaidaDist/PasoRobles (12.4%) 2018: Med.gold color; very strong honeyed/honeysuckle/Rouss/floral/jasmine light pencilly/oak quite spicy some complex beautiful nose; lightly tart very rich/lush/mouthfilling very strong Rouss/floral/honeysuckle/honeyed/honeycomb light pencilly/oak quite spicy/bit nutmeg some complex beautiful flavor; very long/lingering very rich/lush/but not DollyParton intense Rouss/honeyed/honeysuckle/floral/honeycomb light pencilly/oak quite spicy/nutmeg/cardamon beautiful finish that goes on&on; not yet showing any of that nutty/toasted hazelnuts character that a mature Rouss shows; a beautiful Rouss that will only get better over the next 10-15 yrs; even though the wine is wonderfully rich & luxurious, it's a fur piece from being a DollyParton white; an absolute steal at $26.00 (VIN)/$40.00
1. I don't remember tasting this Rouss upon release. The last TCV Rouss I had was the '17 & it seemed a bit tight & closed. This '18 may not have been included in the last VinSidersClub release, so I may not have actually tasted it. I usually taste their new VIN releases just as soon as they come out and sometimes they seem a bit tight/closed, but they usually put on weight & really blossom.
The TCV VINSiderClub is one of the tasting clubs that I continue my membership in. Probably one of the best tasting clubs around in terms of value. I sometimes feel guilty for drinking such good wines at such a cheap price. A club worth joining.
Every month, TCV offers to their VINSiderClub at a 30% discount. Oftentimes, if you catch the special on a shipping deal month, you can get a fabulous deal. This Rouss '18 was in the January VIN special, I suspected it would be quite good, so my group ordered 2 cs worth. Whatta deal this was. One of the best Calif Rouss I've had in a number of yrs.
2. Back in January, TCV sent out as a gift a small btl of the Estate OliveOil. I was mightly impressed by it... very fresh & peppery like a young olive oil should be. So I ordered two hlf btls of the oil in this last shipment. I tasted it last night alongside the tiny gift btl. I liked this new one even better. Not only does TCV make great wines, their olive oil is also first rate, as good as it gets in Calif.
I can hardly wait for the first offering of the TCV VINSider Estate Lamb Chop.
Tom
no avatar
User

Robert Helms

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:14 pm

Re: WTN: TablasCreek Roussanne '18....(short/boring)

by Robert Helms » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:20 pm

FWIW, the Ridge whites from the Adelaida District are exceptionally good. The current ATP release is a single varietal Grenache Blanc which I have not yet tried. Last year they released a blend (Grenache Blanc 50, Roussanne 25, Picpoul 25) that I thought was sensational and a Roussanne that I thought was excellent. I thought the blend ranked up there with the best Rhone whites I have ever had and I pegged the Roussanne in the low to mid 90s. Basically the blend was a more complex, more layered white with exceptional length and finish. Unfortunately they may not make it again.
Regards,

Robert Helms
Savannah
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:39 am

Roussane. A grape we hadn't purchased until 2019. Have a Tablas Adelaida District 2015 and a Tercero 2014 Zaca Mesa Vineyard/ Santa Ynez.

Our impressions: Marsanne is good, Roussane is better. Another idea: Grenache Blanc. Tablas had a special on that last year. Could not resist.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:45 pm

Big fan of Grenache Blanc.