The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two GWTs...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two GWTs...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:06 pm

Tried these two GWTs back in KansasCity last week:
1. ElenaWalch GWT Doc: AltoAdige (14%; www.ElenaWalch.com) Tramin 2019: Med.light gold color; fairly strong lychee/GWT/hair oil bit pear/floral/pear blossom light chalky/mineral quite attractive/fragrant nose; lightly tart fairly rich slight tangy/bitter quite floral/pear/GWT/lychee totally dry light chalky/metallic flavor; very long strong lychee/GWT/bit hair oil/floral slightly rich bit tangy/metallic finish; an attractive 4-square AltoAdige GWT like used to be common in Alsace. $23.00 (G/MT)
2. A.Willm GWT Reserve AC: Alsace (MediumSweet; 13.5%; www.Alsace-Willm.com; MonsieurToutonSlctns/NY) Colmar 2018: Med.gold color w/ some bubbles; fairly strong lychee/GWT/hair oil/floral/fruity bit simple/quiet nose; soft rich/lush fairly sweet )0.8%-1.2% r.s.) some lychee/GWT/hair oil/fruity/grapey rather simple/dull/quotidian flavor; long soft somewhat sweet quiet GWT/lychee/hair oil/fruity quite simple/grapey/lush/rich rather dull finish; a simple fruity Alsatian GWT; rather dull as dishwater. $20.00 (G/MT)
1. This duo is a perfect example how the mighty have fallen and illustrates well why the Sudtirol is my go-to area for good GWT to accompany Tart l'Alsacienne or ChoucrouteGarni. The Willm Reserve GWT used to be one of my favorite/go-to great/cheap/easy-drinkin' Alsatian GWTs. Ohhh...how the mighty have fallen. This was waaay too sweet to accompany any Alsatian fare. The Walch was not a profound example of AA GWT, but it was far more engaging than the Willm.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Two GWTs...(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:18 pm

When was Willm ever good?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

It'TWas...

by TomHill » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:29 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:When was Willm ever good?

It was at one time David. The A.Willm Clos Gaensbrœnnel GWT VendangeTardive (14%) '59 was my introduction to the glories of great Alsatian GWT. I used to buy it in KansasCity when I got interested in wine for about $16 in the late '60's. It was rich/lush/intense and totally dry. This is when, by crackey, in the good ole days when most Alsatian GWTs of the current vintage were around $3-$4/btl. Totally dry, absolutely delicious...and did I mention cheap?? Alsace became my go-to white wine. Did I mention they didn't cost very much...ideal for a poor graduate student.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Two GWTs...(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:34 pm

So back when dinosaurs walked the earth. :twisted:
Decisions are made by those who show up