The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Walter Scott wines?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert Helms

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:14 pm

Walter Scott wines?

by Robert Helms » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:07 am

Hello everyone, it has been several years. With the recent explosion in Burgundy prices, I have begun looking seriously for alternatives as my supply of older vintages is depleted. One of the winemakers I know in London is pushing Walter Scott Chardonnays and I thought I would ask if anyone on this forum was familiar with their wines. They appear to be getting grapes from a number of the same vineyards as St Innocent. Regards
Regards,

Robert Helms
Savannah
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Walter Scott wines?

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:44 pm

Hi Robert,

While I have not had the wines myself, several folks I know and trust are very big fans. I would certainly pick up a bottle or three to try if they were locally available.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:50 pm

Robert, hello!!!!!!

I concur with David. Haven't had one in a long while but I remember them favorably. I might mention that like most Willamette wineries, they make both Chardonnay and Pinot, but it's their chardonnays people talk about.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:51 pm

A retailer in Ithaca brought in some Walter Scott wines recently and I bought a few to try: Freedom Hill Pinot and Chardonnay, IIRC. I’ve had one of each so far. Can’t give you detailed TNs (it’s been several weeks) but I thought both were very good at their price point.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:45 am

PS: after looking in the cellar last night I remembered I’d also gotten and tried some WS La Combe Verte Chardonnay, which I recall as being much more overtly woody than the Freedom Hill, and less to my taste, though it may just need some time to integrate.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Robert Helms

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:14 pm

by Robert Helms » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:12 pm

Thanks to all for their comments.

We moved to Savannah, GA a couple of years ago but I still have wine in the UK which I have to either ship over or sell. Bottom line: I decided against making my problem any bigger by buying more. Savannah and perhaps Georgia is somewhat of a wine wasteland with limited choice and relatively high prices. So I have become very fond of Wine-Searcher to identify who has what that I really like.

Regards
Regards,

Robert Helms
Savannah
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:38 pm

Savannah's a beautiful town. A bit touristy--when I was last there, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was a recent hit book and film. The extent to which every detail related to either, however obscure, was rather nauseating. I actually remember hearing "on your right is the house that Clint Eastwood rented for his daughter". Hope things have returned to something more normal.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov