The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Travelling the World in Lockdown

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:46 pm

Re: Travelling the World in Lockdown

by Richard L » Thu May 06, 2021 1:57 pm

Re Curry, my wife and I like them to be fairly mild, with lots of suitable ingredients. Years ago when we lived in BC we had an Indian friend (originally from Kashmir) who provided lots of ingredients (he came fairly often to our place to play tennis, at which we were very evenly matched). He liked his curry a lot "fiercer" and added suitable ingredients, and we loved our milder form, which included banana and pineapple. Richard L
Last edited by Richard L on Thu May 06, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu May 06, 2021 2:06 pm

An important point about curry, Richard: it's not an 'it', it's a 'them'. Curries are essentially highly seasoned stews and there are a zillion different possibilities of both seasoning and ingredients. At a typical Indian meal, one would have several. But this thread's no longer about India, Peter has moved on in his 'tour' to Hungary. Why don't you tell Peter about your experience with Egri Bikaver?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:46 pm

by Richard L » Thu May 06, 2021 2:21 pm

Jenise , I have amended my prior post. Egri Bikaver seemed aptly named "Bull's Blood", and we had more Tokaj. Richard L
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu May 06, 2021 6:31 pm

Tim York wrote:I am curious to know more about this Indian vineyard, in particular its climatic conditions. It must be located at an altitude which brings cool enough conditions for Syrah/Shiraz? My only experience of the Indian sub-continent is from a handful of business visits to Karachi in Pakistan well to the north. I found the climate unbearably humid and hot except in December, which was like June in NW Europe (does that include the UK nowadays?) in fine weather.

I had this Sula wine, it was very good, and they had a chenin blanc that was even better. Ample acidity. I too wonder what part of India is temperate enough for wine grapes, as the only folks I have personally known who have lived or visited there all noted that it was stunningly hot and humid

Peter, I hope you take a look at the recipe for goulash I posted in the forum Kitchen. We were lucky enough to have it in Budapest and I think it's a reasonable facsimile, though it does require buying a tube of Hungarian paste which is available on Amazon or at Hungarian stores.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri May 07, 2021 12:33 am

Peter May wrote:The beans I had was in a small village taverna, it was a long long time ago but I really enjoyed them. The beans take on a new flavour and texture by absorbing olive oil.

Other dishes I remember were moussaka - which I've made in past but no longer do so, fish caught that day and simply grilled by the fisherman's wife at their cottage, and a whole sheep brought down from the hills skinned hanging from a pole carried on the shoulders of two men, this was at lunchtime. They put it on a spit over a fire and dinner that evening was chunks cut off the roasted sheep. Other dishes as well, but it was all peasant food and there were no freezers or pre-prepared foods.

Salads varied as to what was ripe in people gardens that day. I remember being disappointed while in Kos not having the lettuce named after it 'Cos lettuce' (USA name Romaine) but it wasn't in season.

These were islands hosting tourists for the first time. The only way previously to get to them was via inter-island ferry and the ones far out saw very few tourists as it took such a long time to get to them from the mainland.

I remember on my visits to the Greek Islands, every place I visited served rabbit!!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri May 07, 2021 10:17 am

wnissen wrote:
Peter, I hope you take a look at the recipe for goulash I posted in the forum Kitchen. .

Link please, as I couldn't find it.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri May 07, 2021 11:59 am

Peter May wrote:
wnissen wrote:
Peter, I hope you take a look at the recipe for goulash I posted in the forum Kitchen. .

Link please, as I couldn't find it.

Oops, I had sent it to my sister but for some reason I guess I hadn't posted it here! Thanks for the reminder.

RCP: Authentic Hungarian Goulash (Gulyás)
Walter Nissen
Previous