The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Bait & Switch Wine Retail??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Bait & Switch Wine Retail??

by Jim Grow » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:20 pm

I was grocery shopping at my Kroger Superstore recently and I always peruse the wine selection. In the close-out shelf I saw a few discounted bottles including 2 Beringer 2015 Res. Chardonnays. Marked down to $32 from $50, I picked them up and went to the self-checkout. The woman overseeing the self-checkout could not scan them for the discounted price but could sell them for the $50 price. I did not understand her reasoning but may try again at customer service and at least try to get a better explaination!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Bait & Switch Wine Retail??

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:50 am

It's probably simply that the discount price wasn't registered in the checkout system's database. I would hope that the self-checkout assistant reported the problem to management.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:24 pm

Paul's explanation is most likely: over here if a supermarket checkout rings up a price higher than the shelf label says a manager is called and if the shelf does have a lower price then that price is honoured, no ifs.

Sometimes it's because the shelf price hasn't been updated at the end of a promotion and the manager will remove the lower price label, but the lower price is still honoured
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:47 pm

Exactly--just takes a manager's override. Been through that a few times.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:52 pm

Do self-checkout systems have the same management override capability as conventional cash registers? I don't use self-checkout.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:55 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Do self-checkout systems have the same management override capability as conventional cash registers? I don't use self-checkout.

-Paul W.

Yes, once you get someone to come over...just takes patience.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:45 pm

What David said; it's just that (understandably) not everyone's entrusted with that superpower where alcohol's concerned.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:14 pm

The clerk should have called over a manager with override authority (and whoever marked down on shelf should have entered in system as well).

Not great service, they should honor the price (ethically and probably legally).
But doesn't resemble bait and switch (where you advertise an attractive price for an item to get the customer in the store, then try to switch them to another product, generally with higher margin).
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:14 pm

At least in Massachusetts stores are required by law to honor the shelf or sticker price on an item.

One of the sketches in the Firesign Theatre CD Eat or Be Eaten involves a retail store called the Bait and Switch Shop. It sells worms and lighting control hardware.

-Paul W.