The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Maggie’s Farmhouse

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Maggie’s Farmhouse

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:46 pm

2017 Bedrock Wine Co. Oakville Farmhouse - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (1/8/2021)
Every once in a while I drink a wine that plugs me in to where it comes from. I took one sniff, one sip, and the wine just screamed OAKVILLE! I don’t really know much about this bottling. I don’t really know what’s in the 2017. I do know that it speaks of place. It’s restrained yet has endless depth. The structure is stately, rather than rustic. The fruit is dusty and understated. It’s a modern classic. My remaining bottle will be a tough open.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Maggie’s Farmhouse

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:18 pm

• 2017 Bedrock Wine Co. Oakville Farmhouse - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (6/22/2023)
    I thought I was going to wait many years to open my final bottle of the 2017 Oakville Farmhouse, but I really wanted to have something special, and I spotted this bottle prior to dinner and grabbed it. It didn't even get a decant. Turns out it really didn't need it. From the beginning it had an approachability and depth that made it an absolute pleasure to drink. Yes there were some rough edges. It's not resolved, and in that case not "ready." That said I don't really know what "ready" means other than the wine provides a lot of pleasure without having to puzzle out what's going on. The fruit is still quite fresh, the aromatics complex and elevated - as I said about a bottle two years ago, this smells like it comes from Oakville. It was only through great strength of willpower that I was able to save a healthy glass for another night. I kept saying "this is just amazing" out loud, as I went back for another small splash three separate times. So much depth of material to explore here, but I don't know as I would get more visceral pleasure from this wine than I did last night.
Decisions are made by those who show up