The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dave, be Franken with me

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Dave, be Franken with me

by Jenise » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:08 pm

Served this last week with scallops on a panang curry:

2017 Schieferkopf Par Michel Chapoutier Sylvaner Trocken-Sec
Rich straw gold. Unexpectedly rich in flavor (when I see Sylvaner I don't think of wines like this), tons of depth, earthy and dry. Got more profound as it reached the end of the bottle (but then, so did we!) I've never had a Sylvaner like this. Am about to call the retailer and have him hold his remaining bottles for me.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Dave, be Franken with me

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:01 pm

Franken Silvaner from good producers can be shockingly delicious.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:03 pm

Well, this one shocked me, and it's about as serious as dry white gets, in fact. And Chapoutier--had no idea they dabbled in in this style of wine. Has the braille label and everything. Btw, currently shows at retail for around $27. My price: $7.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:38 pm

Jenise wrote:Served this last week with scallops on a panang curry:

2017 Schieferkopf Par Michel Chapoutier Sylvaner Trocken-Sec
Rich straw gold. Unexpectedly rich in flavor (when I see Sylvaner I don't think of wines like this), tons of depth. Got more profound as it reached the end of the bottle (but then, so did we!) I've never had a Sylvaner like this. Am about to call the retailer and have him hold his remaining bottles for me.

Sylvaner tends to be bigger than Riesling, but Franken in general gets more ripeness (and alcohol) than the ethereal Mosel. For me, the bigger shock is that a Franco-German collaboration with Chapoutier is apparently turning out such good wine at $7!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:47 pm

Rahsaan, thanks for that. All I have to compare this to were the Frankens in those little round bottles while in Germany. Fairly inexpensive wines and what I expected based on what I paid, not realizing the Chapoutier connection or that this currently retails in the U.S. for $25+. My price is local.

12%, btw. Pretty damned perfect.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:08 pm

Nice note
So it's not in a Bocksbeutel ? Shame (supposedly shaped after a goat scrotum)
Not a Chapoutier fan usually, but that sounds fun. I've had very very good Sylvaner from Franconia and Alto Adige/Northern Italy.. Never really loved an Alsatian Sylvaner.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:13 pm

Nope! Classic hock shape which, among other things, invites you to consider it cellarable. And a steal for a distributor close-out being sold at cost. $7. I served it with seared scallops on a puddle of panang curry, which was a great match for a wine with so much body.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:31 pm

Had another bottle of this yesterday, but this one chilled where the other was cool room temp. I liked it even better chilled, in fact, so much so that I'm calling my retailer today to add another half case to the half case I asked him to set aside for me and wondering if I'll be sorry I didn't order even more. It's THAT good. Not just for the price, but that good period.