The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:NewYear-ESJ,Sadie,Jaboulet,Goodfellow, bubbles, Bdx,Bojo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN:NewYear-ESJ,Sadie,Jaboulet,Goodfellow, bubbles, Bdx,Bojo

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:19 pm

With coriander chicken with Brussels sprouts, the 2017 Lapalu Beaujolais-Villages. Just a hint of fizz, cranberry and cherry fruit, a little leathery note, fun. B

A fun “fusion” dinner - Gravlax rice bowl (avocado, kombu, ikura, Japanese pickles, etc)’
2018 Caves Naveran “Dama” Cava
Just a hint of RS, apple, mint, at $20 no bargain for cava. B-/C+

New Years Eve was just us with dry-aged steak from Blue Hill Stone Barns, potatoes in truffle butter, broccoli

NV Agrapart “Terroirs” Blanc des Blancs Champagne
Crisp, zesty, lemon over pear, nice chalky finish. B+/A-

1982 Ch. La Dominique

Mature, not tired, soft resolved tannins, dark fruit with a little cocoa and cigarbox. B+

On New Years we invited another couple- separate tables in separate rooms facing a doorway, air purifier between us, windows cracked with fans (I am SO tired of this).
They brought shrimp deviled eggs, tourtiere, Linzertorte.
We had salmon mousse, bluefish pate, potatoes with creme fraiche & ikura, roast duck, blackeyed peas, collard greens

NV Roederer Premier Brut Champagne
Rich style, apples and almond, fine mousse, good value. B+/B

1983 Jaboulet “La Chapelle” Hermitage
Elegant, mature, midweight, quiet black fruits, roast meats, herbs. A-/B+

1999 Jaboulet “Thalabert” Crozes-Hermitage
Plenty of fruit, a little smoke and bacon, slightly clipped finish. Others liked more than the La Chapelle. B-

Saturday was oysters, skate with brown butter, Japanese yams, mushrooms (pioppini and oysters sauteed with dashi), Swiss chard
2018 Goodfellow Dundee Hills Chardonnay
This is a bit richer than a recent Ribbon Ridge, pear with a little oak note, some matchstick/sulfur, opens up, very nice length. B/B+

Lamb stew, salad
1996 Edmunds St John Syrah
This is the basic California, not the Durrell or any other vineyard. But nothing basic about the wine- warm black fruits, smoke, white pepper. Nice length! A-/B+

Rice bowl redux during our Zoom call, with the 2019 Sadie Skerpioen. South African cult wine! :)
This is a field blend, about 50% Chenin Blanc and 50% Palomino. I have almost no experience with table Palomino, and this didn’t taste very Chenin-ish other than a hint of wooliness. Very pale, very young. Interesting wine that developed over the evening. Good acids, citrus and honeydew, good finish. Interesting wine and I would love to see how it develops. B/B+ for now.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN:NewYear-ESJ,Sadie,Jaboulet,Goodfellow, bubbles, Bdx,

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:38 pm

Dale Williams wrote:...separate tables in separate rooms facing a doorway, air purifier between us, windows cracked with fans (I am SO tired of this)...

Yes, I can see how these arrangements would get tiring. But, your efforts have been heroic! We haven't had anyone eating with us since last February. I haven't minded all that much, as long as we can still do other types of outdoor socializing. But, I think entertaining has always been a more regular part of your lifestyle.

That said, it will be nice to return to old-fashioned dinner parties.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:06 pm

Curious about the coriander chicken.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:17 pm

I've had a few of those Sadie field blends--always interesting.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:34 pm

Rahsaan, I'd say before pandemic we averaged 1 or 2 dinner parties per month, couple of dinners with one other couple a month, dining at friends a couple of times per month, dining out together 1 or twice a month, and I'd do 1-3 wine dinners per month. In summer might substitute big (25-50 people) party about once a month for dinner party. So this has been a big change.

David, can you read NYT cooking?
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018590-sheet-pan-coriander-chicken-with-caramelized-brussels-sprouts?action=click&module=Local%20Search%20Recipe%20Card&pgType=search&rank=1

Jenise, the people who had been to South Africa raved about winery. But lots of the stuff is maybe a few cases to US total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:44 pm

It wasn't for me, but I like that the chicken recipe includes this information about the brussels sprouts: When the brussels are blasted with enough heat, they get intensely sweet, losing the mustardy, cabbage-like bite they have when they are cooked to a lesser degree. So jmany BS haters would think otherwise if they understood this and enjoyed them properly cooked.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:37 pm

Yes. Saved to my recipe box. Thank you.

Glad you are continuing to enjoy the Goodfellow wines. I am noticing a lot of match stick in his Chards as well as other Oregon Chards.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:28 pm

MAtchstick doesn't bother me (I love Coche!) as long as it's not overly sulfuric.
I just assume a slightly reductive winemaking style (though I'm terrible with tech stuff(
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:31 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Rahsaan, I'd say before pandemic we averaged 1 or 2 dinner parties per month, couple of dinners with one other couple a month, dining at friends a couple of times per month, dining out together 1 or twice a month, and I'd do 1-3 wine dinners per month. In summer might substitute big (25-50 people) party about once a month for dinner party. So this has been a big change.

Roughly 10 social dinners per month. One out of every 3 days. Indeed, that is a big change. Our modal number of dinner parties/restaurant meals was 1 per month!

Regardless, while it might not feel that way yet, we've turned the corner and the days are getting longer, spring will soon be here!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:37 pm

Dale Williams wrote:MAtchstick doesn't bother me (I love Coche!) as long as it's not overly sulfuric.
I just assume a slightly reductive winemaking style (though I'm terrible with tech stuff(

I discussed the match stick thing with the folks from Division the other day. They are not doing reductive winemaking, and still get it. They ascribe it to the vineyard sites.