The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Division Bell

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Division Bell

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:26 pm

2018 Division Winemaking Company Chardonnay "Trois" Johan Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (1/2/2021)
Drank over two nights, the second of which included a conversation with the winemakers (Tom and Kate) from Division. First night there was initially a pronounced reductive, matchstick element, but it receded after a couple of hours. The wine remained rather tight, but was a promising mix of crisp fruit and leafy green tones. I corked it up in the fridge overnight, taking it out to warm a bit prior to the Zoom with Tom and Kate. A small pour showed the fruit coming to the fore, with the green becoming a dry lime flavor. The struck match had receded to a background element, but remained present. I really liked the way the wine showed on the second night. I think I will hold my other bottle a little while to see how it develops.

We discussed this wine in some detail on the call, and Tom indicated that the reductive element is a feature from the vineyard site. The wine is raised in puncheon rather than a stainless tank, and has displayed the same character in multiple vintages.
Decisions are made by those who show up