The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN 1995 Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva Badia a Passignano

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN 1995 Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva Badia a Passignano

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:00 pm

Sometimes there are wines and vintages that you just wish you had bought more of. That rarely happens to me when I get to taste a wine before buying – I am pretty good at sizing them up and going for it when I find one that I think has a future (still sitting on stores of things like 95 Beaucastel, 98 Donjon, 86 and 89 Meyney, 95 Les Cailloux, 95 Santa Duc HG etc.)

This is one such vintage in Tuscany. I find the Italian restaurateurs’ practice of hauling out superannuated Chiantis that look like tawny Ports and had their best years several decades ago usually at outrageous prices, with patient amusement, but if they offered wines like this I’d be considering ordering them.

The colour is still quite dark and the edges are clear. Nose of black cherry and a hint of mocha, with a bit of tobacco (Latakia? The spicy smoky notes would lead me there). In the mouth it is very clean and fruit forward and has soft tannins in the background. Good length, held up for a couple of hours without any deterioration and added some interesting anise hints toward the end. Wish I’d laid down more! (The 1995 Tenuta Marchesi, on the other hand was very decent but was drunk up a couple of years ago – big difference in this vintage, between the two wines).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN 1995 Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva Badia a Passig

by Jenise » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:24 pm

I will probably live to regret my decision but your note on this came across my desk Sunday when I happened to see a '95 Chianti from an unfamiliar producer--but a Reserva, if that meant anything then--on auction for $15. I bought it. I'm fully prepared to have a loser but have fun trying--these days it's all the entertainment we have, right? So how it will come down is, I'll take all the credit if it's great and blame you if it's not. (I can do that, cuz I'm a girl. :lol: )
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:46 pm

Which one did you get?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:47 pm

The name's Melini. Know it?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:52 pm

Yup - if it is La Selvanella you should be pleasantly surprised. I have nothing that old from hat producer but do have the 06, 11 and 12 in my cellar. Maybe we need to do a vertical - after the border opens.

(Psst - what is your bet that Trump will onanistically pardon himself before he is thrown out?)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:04 pm

It's the Laporel. Whatever that is. :)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:14 pm

New one on me!