The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: And I Béton another to show

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: And I Béton another to show

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:24 am

2019 Division Winemaking Company Division-Villages Béton - USA, Oregon (1/2/2021)
Take a trip with this wine. It’s mostly from southern Oregon’s Applegate Valley, but it has its conceptual roots and some of its spirit in the Loire. There are a lot of grapes in the blend, but Cabernet Franc, Gamay and Côt make up the bulk of the wine. Tobacco leaf, berry fruit and a peppery spiciness (accentuated by 5% Syrah, a 2019 addition not normally part of the blend) build off of a pleasingly tart foundation. It’s both quaffable and interesting, and at $20-$25, an easy wine to like in the glass, and in the cellar. I have aged prior vintages a couple of years, but most bottles fly out of my inventory due to the drinkability and flexibility of the wine. Talking with Kate and Tom of Division the other night only affirmed my impressions, as they were inspired by Loire reds in making this blend.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

Re: WTN: And I Béton this to win

by Bruce K » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:16 pm

As luck would have it, I opened a bottle of this on New Year's Day and finished it last night. Very much as you describe it. Just delightful. A little more fruit-forward than a typical Touraine red blend, but otherwise very Loire-y -- the winemakers really succeeded. I know very little about southern Oregon -- always thought it was usually warmer climate than the Willamette Valley -- but this makes a strong case for it, at least for Cabernet Franc, and certainly for the producer.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

Re: WTN: And I Béton another to show

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:03 pm

Their Gamay and Côt are also very strong, with a European sensibility.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:18 pm

they got it goin' on up there! I really like what they're doing
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:50 pm

SteveEdmunds wrote:they got it goin' on up there! I really like what they're doing

That does not surprise me at all. Tom, Kate and I talked a lot of producers, and their interests closely align with mine. It makes sense when I taste the wines.