The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Vajra Freisa & Dr.Parce Banyuls....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Vajra Freisa & Dr.Parce Banyuls....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:39 pm

Tried these two over the NY's weekend:
1. GD Vajra Kye Freisa Dd'OC: Langhe (14.5%; www.GDVajra.It) Barolo 2016: Med.dark color; very strong fragrant Freisa/floral/lilacs/rose petal very Nebb-like slight pungent/tarry/road tar some earthy/dusty lovely perfumed nose; rather tart/tangy some earthy/dusty rather floral/lilacs/rose petal/Nebb-like slight pungent/tarry bit complex flavor w/ rather tangy/hard tannins; very long bit pungent/charred/tarry some floral/lilacs/rose petal/Nebb-like lightly tart finish w/ light bit rough/hard tannins; shows much of the pungent/tarry side of Nebb but not the high-toned aromatics of Nebb; quite similar to Nebb w/ much the same hard/bitey tannins. $37.00 (KK)
2. Dom. du MasBlanc AC: Banyuls VinDouxNaturel Hors d'Age "le Colloque" (16.5%; Grenache; Avg age: 8 yrs; HausAlpenz/Edina/MN) Jean-Michel Parce/Banyuls sur Mer NV: Very dark color; rather fumey/alcoholic intense grapey/Portish/late hrvsty chocolaty/boysenberry/Grenache nose; soft very alcoholic/fumey/porty quite sweet Grenache/grapey/late hrvsty/overripe flavor w/ light tannins; very long quite sweet rather fumey/alcoholic grapey/Grenache/late hrvsty/porty finish w/ light tannins; a pretty classic Banyuls and resembles most PasoRobles Grenaches. $21.00/hlf (KK)
1. Freisa: Is one of the parents of Nebbiolo. It shows much the same character of Nebb. It is sometimes made as a fizzy/off-dry version. My first exposure to Freisa was back in the late '70's when DarrellCorti brought in the ones from Scarpa.Fizzy & off-dry, I developed a real love for the grape. This Vajra style, made like a B/B, does not nuture that love. I would love to see them make it in the style of their JC Clare Nebb.
2. Banyuls: Dr.Parce is regarded by many as one of the best producers in Banyuls. I've had some very old versions of his that I liked quite a lot. But it's a genre I find difficult to appreciate. Fortified to stop the fermentation, they are often a bit too alcoholic/fumey to my taste. But w/ the Pig+Fig chocolate fudge cake, it was a very good match.
Tom