The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 1993 Ch. Magdelaine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: 1993 Ch. Magdelaine

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:04 pm

One is usually prepared for "off year" Bordeaux to show poorly but we look for the exceptions. I've had a bottle of this St. Emilion lurking in my cellar for years (I bought judiciously from the 1993 vintage - La Mission, Trotanoy, La Fleur Petrus and such). It can be fun as well as instructive to pull off vintages for blind tastings.

This wine has a deep red colour, lightening at the edges and a rather nice chocolate and coffee nose with hints of an elusive element that reminds me of fountain pen ink! In the mouth it flows smoothly. with good balance and ends with medium length and now soft tannins. No hints at all that it is from such an ill regarded vintage, except that by the time we finished it a couple of hours later, a faint greenish note had appeared on palate.

I think that the people that ignore vintages based on some critic's judgement may be missing a good bet. You can often find pearls among the dross. I also bought a few 1994s that have shown quite well (the La Mission and Pichon Lalande are very good and lesser wines like the Branaire has been very reliable).
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: TN: 1993 Ch. Magdelaine

by Dale Williams » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:59 pm

Never had the '93 to memory, but both the '92 and the '94 were overachievers considering vintage reps (especially the '92) at a Magdelaine vertical last year (well, 2 years now).
I generally preferred RB (well at least Pomerol) in '94, but enjoyed P-Lalande and Leoville Poyferre a lot.
I had some decent '93s, but Haut Brion is only one I remember thinking I'd look for more (but is actually quite expensive now)