The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus (January) - Wine 101 Cabernet Sauvignon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Wine Focus (January) - Wine 101 Cabernet Sauvignon

by Jenise » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:24 pm

The Ontogeny is closer to classic Napa--perhaps different in body but there's definitely black cherry and tobacco in there. I can see the connection to classicism. But compared to other Napa cabs, the SV is more like a monster zin. Unmitigated bigness in every way possible.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:35 pm

Jenise wrote:The Ontogeny is closer to classic Napa--perhaps different in body but there's definitely black cherry and tobacco in there. I can see the connection to classicism. But compared to other Napa cabs, the SV is more like a monster zin. Unmitigated bigness in every way possible.

Have you had the Tench SV? I think it’s less extreme.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:46 am

No. I do have one other SV from him, but can't recall which other than that it's a '16.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:39 am

Jenise wrote:No. I do have one other SV from him, but can't recall which other than that it's a '16.

I had totally forgotten that I bought an '18 SV Cabernet Franc from Bevan. Will open that for Cab Franc month later this year.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:45 pm

Opened this to console ourselves last night after the Seahawks game:

2010 Boudreaux Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Columbia Valley
A lot of Washington Cabs fail to evolve as they mature--not this one. Though it's early self was closer to WA's typical blackberry, it's now softened into black cherry fruit--such that blind, would have guessed California before Washington. The rest of the package includes tobacco, cedary cigar box, a hint of mint and leathery tones with good acidity and tannins still evident. For my tastes, in peak phase. Drink thru 2023.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:26 pm

2013 Roberts + Rogers Cabernet Sauvignon Louer Family Vineyard my only bottle and opened on Wed. to celebrate Georgia victories and contemplate Capital bldg. ransacking. This bottle from St. Helena area of Napa Co. was unfortunately still much too young, quite tannic and all about primary black fruit. I tried it again the next day but little change. Today it had settled down a bit and was enjoyable to finish but realistically needs 10-12 more years in bottle to really begin to shine. Today it had lots of plum and brambly black fruit but no secondary complexity. A very black colored wine with %15.4 abv but not at all hot. I'm too old to buy more of this style of wine.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:59 pm

The 2005 Chateau Montelena ‘Montelena Estate’ Cabernet Sauvignon Is starting to round into form. Loved the dusty cassis fruit and measured tannins. So darned drinkable.

I am really glad we are doing Cabernet this month. I had forgotten how much I like it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:28 pm

2015 Obelisco Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Valley

Obelisco is a Washington winery started by a pair of brothers who also have a winery in Napa--David Arthur, I think. They make modern, polished wines starting at the $45-50 price point, incl most of the usual red suspects but best as I can tell leaning more on malbec for blending complexity than the more typical merlot and cab franc. They also make reisling. Wines are well-made--delicious and balanced but perhaps, in the eyes of a traditionalist, a bit soulless. And so it was with this cabernet last night. Bright, flashy red and dark fruit, very gulpable. But at six years out it's lived it's best life and is not a candidate for further cellaring.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:49 am

Good to hear that the 2005 Montelena Estate Cab is coasting to its peak. I've been struggling to keep my paws off of the Montelena Estate Cab vintages from the late 90s and early 2000s.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:59 pm

Has anyone had a Rose' of Cab Sauv lately? Years ago, I had a Mulderbosch Coastal Region. Recall it was priced under $12 and was decent. Haven't had others recently, but ideas welcome.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:20 pm

Factoid: back in the day (meaning things might have changed) Muldy tended that cab vineyard for the sole purpose of making the rose--it's not a saignee, they don't make a stand-alone cab. I do love cab roses, but they're rare.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 pm

Pat G wrote:Has anyone had a Rose' of Cab Sauv lately? Years ago, I had a Mulderbosch Coastal Region. Recall it was priced under $12 and was decent. Haven't had others recently, but ideas welcome.

I had a few bottles of Stony Hill Rosé of Cabernet Sauvignon not long ago. Good stuff, but not what I am looking for, so I didn’t grab more. I am more a Pinot, Mourvèdre or Syrah Rosé fan.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:13 am

Rose' of Syrah: Fred Scherrer made a very good 2017 Dry Rose' of Syrah. Enjoyed in 2020, glad to have another bottle for this year.

Rose' of Pinot Noir: our go-to reliable producer is Navarro, Anderson Valley. Cardwell Hill, Willamette was also good; our non-Rose' drinker guests even liked that one. Both wines seemed dry to me.

It appears that both of the above varietals will be featured later this year, but your ideas are welcome anytime.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:28 pm

Not often one sees a note on a Languedoc Cab Sauv. Picked up the 2018 Tuileries CS downtown. Good price too around $23 Cda. Earthy nose, blackcurrant...opening up nicely. Dry, fine tannins, medium-bodied, good acidity, cherry plum.

***The Cévennes IGP is located in the northern edge of the Languedoc in the department of Gard, near the city of Nimes
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:35 am

Well, blow me down...

Since posting above that I don't have any varietal Cabs, our wine tasting club has arranged a online tasting with Adam Lazarre of Cycles Gladiator Wines in California, and included in the joining fee are three bottles of wine including Cycles Gladiator Cabernet Sauvignon 2017

However the tasting date is 20 February, which is too late for this thread.....
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:51 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Not often one sees a note on a Languedoc Cab Sauv. Picked up the 2018 Tuileries CS downtown. Good price too around $23 Cda. Earthy nose, blackcurrant...opening up nicely. Dry, fine tannins, medium-bodied, good acidity, cherry plum.

***The Cévennes IGP is located in the northern edge of the Languedoc in the department of Gard, near the city of Nimes

Bob, it seems that you have a better choice of French varietal Cab in Edmonton than we have here. So far I have seen two on shelves, both under €4, one an IGP from Pays d'Oc and the other a Vin de France from Charentes, IIRC. I have not been tempted. There are two estates which I know in Languedoc, Preignes le Vieux and Ravanès, producing good varietal wines from Bordeaux grapes but they don't seem to do a Cab. Searching for French Cab is not facilitated by the fact that the wine guides do not index grape varieties, only place and producer.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:02 am

Thanks Tim. Rather brief notes but was not feeling that great with some health issues. Day 2 should deliver more hopefully.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:52 am

Peter May wrote:Well, blow me down...

Since posting above that I don't have any varietal Cabs, our wine tasting club has arranged a online tasting with Adam Lazarre of Cycles Gladiator Wines in California, and included in the joining fee are three bottles of wine including Cycles Gladiator Cabernet Sauvignon 2017

However the tasting date is 20 February, which is too late for this thread.....

It's not like we don't add stuff later on! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:09 pm

2000 Napa Cabernet Sauvignon "Montelena Estate", Chateau Montelena

Dave Bueker's TN on the 2005 prompted me to open this (still have most of a case left). It's a deep, translucent purple. To look at it you'd never guess it's a 20-year-old wine. Very aromatic dark fruit, with cassis dominating, and a hint of oak peeking out. In the mouth, there's an explosion of cassis and black cherries, held up by vibrant and balanced acidity. Tannins are fully resolved. This is a joy to drink, and should remain so for many years to come. It should only get better with time. Double Curly.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:22 pm

Very nice. Glad you opened one.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:09 pm

2012 Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Estate - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (1/20/2021)
Iconic winery for an important day...

First things first - decant this wine for 2-4 hours or wait another 5-7 years. I did not give it sufficient air, and it was downright angry for the first hour I was sipping at it. It started to open up after that, but it was at the three hour mark when it finally unfurled, and the fruit emerged to balance the tannic structure. There's still obvious oak, but it also came into balance with time. As I had my last few sips it really did remind me of its big brother wine, but on a smaller scale. I left 1/3 of the bottle to check on over the next couple of evenings, and will develop a notional plan for how to handle the rest. It really was lovely once it opened up, it just needed a lot of time.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:09 pm

2016 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon Sunbasket Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/28/2021)
When I open a bottle of Corison Cabernet Sauvignon I expect precision, elegance, and refinement. The Sunbasket Cabernet Sauvignon delivers that in abundance. Some might find it too elegant, but I just love the balance, and the detail in the aromatics. Where it really grabs me is the finish, which is all about sustain. There’s a very long future ahead for this wine, and a long sleep for my other bottles.

(It’s really also an “open that bottle” item.)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:56 pm

I ranted at some length about this in today's 30 Second Wine Advisor, but to keep it short among us geeks, this month's Focus brings home to me how difficult it is to find good 100 percent varietal Cabernet Sauvignon at a price I'm willing to pay. The good stuff generally isn't cheap, and the cheap stuff isn't good. There have to be a few princesses out there among all the frogs, though, and this Coonawarra Cab from Whole Foods was decent at $14.99.

Criterion 2019 Coonawarra South Australia Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon ($14.99)

Criterion Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon shows dark blackish-purple all the way to a thin garnet edge. Initially aromas of mint and black licorice rise from the glass, opening up to add black cherry and plum with time in the glass. Black fruit and subtle anise come together on the palate with tart acidity and modest but perceptible tannins that become more astringent in the long finish. Its 13.5% alcohol is moderate for an Australian red and doesn't intrude. No one would describe it as elegant or refined, but it shows good basic Cabernet Sauvignon character and pairs well with food. U.S. importer: WX Imports, Novato, Calif. (Jan. 28, 2021)

FOOD MATCH: The back label suggests hearty red meats: T-bone steak, short ribs, lamb chops. We made an amiable match by adding ground beef (okay, plant-based beefy crumbles) to leftover lentil, rice, and onion mujadara from a local Palestinian eatery.

WHEN TO DRINK: It's certainly approachable now, but its good present balance of fruit, acidity, and tannins in a varietal Cabernet Sauvignon suggests at least a few years' aging potential of five years or so under good cellar conditions.

VALUE:
It was a good bargain at $17 from Whole Foods Wine Shop. Wine-Searcher.com's brief list of retail offerings varied widely.

WEB LINK:
The producer's web page provides a handy fact sheet.

FIND THIS WINE ONLINE:
Check prices and find vendors for Criterion Coonawarra Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon on Wine-Searcher.com.

Follow this Wine-Searcher link to read more about Coonawarra and find listings for dozens of other wines from the region.

Read more about Cabernet Sauvignon and browse many good single-varietal bottles at this Wine-Searcher link.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:00 pm

Robin, your comment about cabernet in this price range reminds me of what we used to say about single men in Alaska (when I lived there): the odds aren't good, and the goods are odd. We still see a few at the $20 price point in Washington, usually winery seconds or bulk wines just above the Black Box level, but occasionally they're pleasant enough. In general, though, Chilean imports offer better value.
PreviousNext