The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

So what did we open for New Years?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

So what did we open for New Years?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:36 am

2011 Kurt Erbes Urziger Wurzgarten Riesling Kabinett..last bottle for the year..As expected a tad low in acidity and quite sweet but typical for vintage, at least some of them! Will see whats`up day 2.

The remaining wine in the bottle of the 2013 Savoie Clos d`Idylle Jacguere went down the sink.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Re: So what did we open for New Years?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:50 pm

delete
Last edited by Bob Parsons Alberta on Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:32 pm

Sorry Bob. I did not open anything particularly notable for NYE.

We had a bottle of Krug on NYD, but that note is in the Champagne thread.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:30 am

I didn't look until today.
On New Year's Eve I drank another glass of a very good bottle of Preston "J. Preston" NV, a Southern Rhone blend using '16 and '17 estate fruit, with a veal chop. I finished the bottle this evening with raviolis. The wine had the flavors of a GSM, though I don't know the actual cepage. Preston is in the upper end of Dry Creek Valley, about half a mile on a driveway off the end of West Dry Creek Road. IOW, you have to have fortitude to visit.
On New Year's Day, I opened a bottle of Hawkes Stone Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon '12 with a pan-grilled New York steak. The wine was Ok, not wonderful, not showing age or anything, but it didn't develop much, either. It tastes almost like it was released last year. Hawkes is a family in the Alexander Valley, farming somewhere about 60 acres. Stone Vineyard is off Chalk Hill Road on Maacamas Creek, just inside the Alexander Valley AVA; another half mile south it would be Russian River Valley. Jake Hawkes is the winemaker.
I guess you can't win them all.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:30 am

Bob

We didn't do anything special for NYE and didn't stay up to 'see in' the new year.

On NYD we had, as usual, fish with
Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc Private Bin Early Release 2020

only unusual thing was after dinner Jo suggested she steam the two small individual Christmas Puddings carried over from Christmas 2019, served with custard, and have them with ice-wine so we did, and I opened
2017 Henry of Pelham Vidal Ice-wine (Canada, Ontario, Niagara Peninsula VQA)

(Notes:
1 - I've found it's not necessary to stay up 'till midnight - the new year still happens.
2) - Private Bin sounds very exclusive, but in fact is the lowest level of VM savvies
3) - Early release because it was the first tranche of the 2020 vintage - we bought a lot and are still drinking it )
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:40 am

NYE (didn;t stasy up) - Agrapart Terroirs, ;82 La Dominique (dry aged steak)
NYD - Roederer Brut, '83 Jabloulet La Chapelle, 99 Thalabert (duck, pork pie, blackeyed peas, collards)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:18 pm

NYE dinner was a disappointing bottle of NV Jacquesson 742. Not a bad wine, but not much going on. A delicious and civilized accompaniment to dinner, but not something I was motivated to keep drinking afterwards. I guess it's a 2014 base and rather restrained right now.

After dinner there were more delicious options, mixing up amaro cocktails with Italian bitter soda and orange slices.
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:02 pm

We had our traditional New Year's Eve repast....pizza and champagne. In this case a Taittinger Comtes de Champagne 2005. A really nice bottle. Very much in the Taittinger house style.
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:00 pm

Our New Year festive bottles were a pale image of what I would serve, had our family been able to be present. Opening more than one bottle with the meal for just two meant left-overs, which either had to be wasted or served a day or two later risking their not being ideal as a pairing (see Irouléguy).

New Year's Eve

With traditional cold Breton lobster with mayonnaise & sauce Vincent followed by salad -

NV Bollinger Champagne Special Cuvée Brut - France, Champagne (31/12/2020)
This is almost certainly from the same batch bought in 2018 as last New Year's Eve's bottle and I can repeat verbatim my description - fine bubbles, airy crisp fragrant bouquet and quite full for champagne with delicate texture, fine white fruit and minerals, rich burnished undertow leading to firm and long finish. Ideal pairing for lobster. Even better than Christmas Eve's bottle of Roederer Brut Premier. Excellent.

With Stilton cheese followed by a chocolate dessert in a heart shape -

1983 Marc Parcé Rivesaltes Ambré Vin Doux Naturel élevé 36 ans en barriques - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Rivesaltes (31/12/2020)
30+ year old Rivesaltes from Marc Pracé is a "must" for the festive season. It is made from a cocktail of Grenache banc & gris and Macabeu is is aged colheita style in the barrel until ready. As always, it had that typical light golden pink tinged colour and light/medium body. Seamless and ethereally subtle with its cherry and rose tinged fruit, nuts, gentle sweetness, perfectly balanced acidity, it had enough backbone to pair well with Stilton cheese and was perfect with a chocolate dessert. Excellent.

On New Year's day -

Rabbit marinated in Kriek Lambic beer and prunes -

The sweetness of this dish really called for a Châteauneuf du Pape but there was no way that it would have been healthy to empty a, say, 2001 and also drink the remainder of the Bolly as a starter and more of the Rivesaltes with dessert. So we decided to go with two-thirds of a bottle of Irouléguy which had given a very good impression on opening two days before.

2017 Domaine Arretxea Irouléguy - France, Southwest France, Pays Basque, Irouléguy (30/12/2020)
Arretxea is probably the best known estate in Irouléguy and on this showing its reputation is justified. A blend of Tannat, Cabernet franc and Cabernet sauvignon, it has a nose and palate entry quite reminiscent of Loire CabFranc with lively berry fruit, touches of spice and minerals and a leafy hint but adds to the more depth, generosity and backbone. Very good.

On January 2, the remainder of the lobster was made into a tasty but spicy homard à l'Armoricaine-

2008 Domaine Geneletti Château-Chalon - France, Jura, Château-Chalon (02/01/2021)
I always find it difficult to pair vin jaune, so I was intrigued to read a suggestion in Guide Hachette that it works well with lobster à l'Armoricaine (cayenne pepper in the sauce). Made from Savagnin and aged oxidatively under voile (AKA flor in Spain), it has definite fino sherry notes but with more fragrance, amplitude and backbone and indeed it stood up well with the sauce and even to Stilton chesse. I have enough left to test a claim on La Passion du Vin, a French wine-lovers' site, that it can benefit from being several days open and served at room temperature. Very good.
Posted from CellarTracker
Tim York
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:00 pm

For New years Eve: A tasty NV Malivoire Bissous Rosé (Niagara, Ontario, Canada), purchased in 2016 with charcuterie & cheeses; then, at midnight, a slightly disappointing half bottle of Billecart-Salmon Brut Rosé, bought in 2013., perhaps a little too old?

For New Years Day: 1997 André Guichot Charmes-Chambertin wiith Beef Wellington, roasted potatoes and asparagus. Nice.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:19 am

Niner Rose' of Pinot Noir, 2018. I'm neutral at best; decent Day 1, totally faded Day 2.

Meh.... :|
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:43 pm

Ted Richards wrote:For New years Eve: A tasty NV Malivoire Bissous Rosé (Niagara, Ontario, Canada), purchased in 2016 with charcuterie & cheeses; then, at midnight, a slightly disappointing half bottle of Billecart-Salmon Brut Rosé, bought in 2013., perhaps a little too old?

For New Years Day: 1997 André Guichot Charmes-Chambertin wiith Beef Wellington, roasted potatoes and asparagus. Nice.

Big Malivoire fan here. Some years they produce a v nice Cab Franc.