The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN:1998 Domaine Chante-Perdrix Châteauneuf-du-Pape Selection

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN:1998 Domaine Chante-Perdrix Châteauneuf-du-Pape Selection

by Bill Spohn » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:18 pm

Please note that the full name would not fit in the header (this is the only site that seems to have this issue) and note the exact designation of the wine below.

1998 Domaine Chante-Perdrix Châteauneuf-du-Pape Selection Les Reflets – this is a tasting note and a bit of a puzzle. This wine (a half case of which was ‘lost’, i.e. somehow uncatalogued in my cellar) carries a neck label that says “Selection Les Reflets”

Apparently several producers (according to Livingston-Learmonth) “formed an association of 11 growers who pooled their resources for bottling and storage of that bottle stock, and was a second version of the Les Reflets grouping, the latter featuring notably the Clos du Mont-Olivet, Les Cailloux, Domaine de la Solitude and the Nicolet domaine of Chante-Perdrix”. It is unclear in what way the wines bottled there were a ‘selection’ and whether they were any better or worse than bottles not labelled that way.

In any case, the wine is fully mature now, and shows lightening edges and a medium depth of colour in the glass, lighter than many of the 98s are today and a bit further along. The nose is showing some ripe mature fruit and a hint of gaminess.
Still, a creditable showing and I was reminded that I hadn’t recently tasted the wine sharing the other half of the cellar shelf with it, the 1998 Clos des Papes which I also should revisit in the near future.